Review by Psycho Penguin

"Avoid shopping carts and other baddies!"

The Atari 2600 has always been home to many classic games, including that darn Pitfall series. There were also some underrated games made for the system, including Solaris (best Atari 2600 game ever??) and Kaboom! And who could forget the immortal classics such as Pitfall, Pitfall 2, River Raid, and Adventure? There was also another underrated game that I enjoyed playing very very much, named Keystone Kapers. The gameplay was fast, fun, and furious, and became very addcitve quickly. It may not have been as fun as such classics such as River Raid or Adventure, but overall Keystone Kapers is an
outstanding game and stands as one of my favorite Atari 2600 games, even to this day.

Graphics (8.1/10)
These graphics are perfectly acceptable for an old Atari 2600 game. The character designs in the game are good, and the enemies are easily distinguished from one another, which is always a good feature. And those dang white shopping carts look really good, as well. The graphics may seem like crap, but when you wake up out of your PS2 dreams and realize that this is an Atari 2600 game, then suddendly the graphics look a whole lot better. Overall, the graphics in Keystone Kapers for the Atari 2600 may not be perfect, but they are really good and perfectly acceptable for an Atari 2600 game.

Music/Sound (8.2/10)
Keystone Kapers had no music whatsoever but the sound effects are pretty good. The sound effects featured range from jumping over your enemies to getting hit by those enemies. There is little amounts of music in the game, but the music that is featured in the game is still pretty decent. Overall, the music and sound effects in Keystone Kapers for the Atari 2600 may not be the best ever, but I am still a fan of them. And thats the bottom line!

Gameplay/Control (9.1/10)
The main point of Keystone Kapers was that you are a police officer who has to capture an escaped robber. To do this, you must walk from platform to platform, climbing elevators, while avoiding baddies like bats and shopping carts. Without a dobut, the shopping carts are still my favorite video game enemies in history. The shopping carts are a very original idea indeed. The game is on a timer as well, which increases the fun factor of the game. I have had plenty of fun times playing this game on both my Atari 2600 and my Playstation (as part of Activision Classics). Great and addicitng gameplay.

Replay Value (High)
Some of the best replay value on Atari 2600.

Challenge (Medium)
I have never beaten this game, because there is no end.

Overall (9.3/10)
A great and addiciting game from Activision. I reccomend the game to Atari 2600 owners.

This game was also featured on the Activision Classics compliation, for Playstation.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/12/00, Updated 07/16/01