Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of my favorite Atari games of all time"

My all time favorite vertical shooter has got to be Space Megaforce, but there have been some other great ones as well. Tiger Heli and Dragon Spirit were both very cool NES games, and a cool Atari 2600 shooter was also made. The name of it? River Raid. River Raid is a fun little vertical shooter where you are a little plane and the object of the game is to move forward by killing ships and stuff while flying over a river. It really is some fun stuff. Add to it great replay value and some cool graphics and you got yourself a game worthy of addition to an Atari 2600 game collection.

Graphics (8.4/10)
The graphics were actually very well done for an Atari game. I never tried to change the colors of the gameplay because the default ones looked good, but I am pretty sure you would be able to. The little ship is a plain white thing, but otherwise the graphics are good. The enemies look well done and the river you're flying over is a nice shade of blue. Overall, the graphics in River Raid for the Atari 2600 are pretty good, nothing special or worth noting though.

Music/Sound (4.6/10)
There was no music present and the few sound effects I heard were pretty annoying. The music in River Raid was non existent and I have never heard any music in the game whatsoever. Sound effect wise, River Raid for the Atari 2600 is decent, as it features all of the basic ''bleeps and bloops'' but I did notice a little variety in them which is always a good thing. However, the sound effects did get to be quite annoying after a while, which is never a good thing. Overall, there is no music in River Raid for the Atari 2600 and sound effect wise there is a variety of sounds but most of them get to be a little annoying after a while.

Gameplay/Control (8.6/10)
The game is very easy to control on both the Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 controller although it seems easier to control on the Atari 7800 controller. The gameplay is your classic vertical shooter action all the way, go around shooting baddies and blowing up bridges and stuff. It's really fun. Overall, the gameplay in River Raid for the Atari 2600 is fun as hell to play and is classic gameplay all the way. And it is now available for play on the Playstation, as part of the Activision Classics compliation.

Replay Value (High)
Very fun game has lots of replay value

Challenge (High)
This game gets quite challenging at times

Overall (8.7/10)
A game worthy of anyones collection. Its games like this that make the Atari 2600 such a cool system!

This game is found on the Activison Classics compliation for Sony Playstation as well as being an Atari 2600 game!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/00, Updated 07/16/01