Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of the weirdest games I have ever played"

The Atari 2600 has been a classic system home to very classic games, including Pitfall, River Raid, and Solaris. But on the
opposite side, a lot of average games came out for it as well. One of the games on this list is none other than Sorceror, developed Mychacon for the Atari 2600 system way back in 1983. Sorceror was a pretty fun game and had good replay value, but it was a pretty messed up game as well. As far as Atari 2600 games go, this just isnt very good. There are far better games to play for your Atari 2600 then this game. It can be somewhat fun at times, but the fun factor of the game just isn't high enough for me to reccomend you playing this game, especially with so many other games out there.

Graphics (5.4/10)
There are graphics on the game. The games released around the time of 1983 featured much better graphics than this. They're okay, but the character designs are, shall we say, weird. To say the VERY least. The enemy designs are also pretty weird. Actually, pretty much all the graphics in this damn game look weird. The backgrounds have a stale and tired look to them. You could change the colors of the abckgrounds, but it really doesn't matter because most of the background colors you could change it to are either too bright or too pale. So its a lose-lose situation, in my opinion. Overall, the graphics in Sorceror for the Atari 2600 are decent for an Atari 2600 game, but the weirdness of the enemy character designs and the staleness of some of the background designs lowers the score a lot.

Music/Sound (6.3/10)
The game has actually has music, and unlike my friend (reviewer K0LDSTeeL) I did not dance to this music. I'm not that weird :) The sound effects in the game are good, but just like the rest of the game, its weird. There is actually some music featured on the game, which is a novel concept, unfortunately for us, the music gets to be very annoying and makes you want to bash your copy of the game with a sledge hammer after a few minutes. That can not be a very good sign. Overall, the music and sound effects in Sorceror for the Atari 2600 are decent, but the music tends to get very annoying after a while.

Gameplay/Control (4.4/10)
Sorceror is a crazy game. You're basically this weird looking thing going around shooting enemies. The problem with this game is that a lot of other games do the same exact thing a million times better. I mean, think about it for a second. There are a lot of shooting games out there, right? And there are a lot of good ones too. So why would you want to play a below average shooter like this one? Wow, I am actually making sense here, for once. Control wise, Sorceror for the Atari 2600 is pretty difficult to control. Mainly because the contoller design off the Atari 2600 does not lend itself well to a game like this. Many times I have died because of the control in the game. It was very difficult for me to move my guy around, as well as shoot the various enemies. Overall, the gameplay in Sorceror for the Atari 2600 is okay but is too weird for my tastes, and the control in Sorceror is very shaky.

Replay Value (Very Low)
The only replay value this game has is to figure out how much this game is sucky.

Challenge (Very High)
Its a challenge to figure out what you're shooting at and why the enemies in the game shoot at you at a million different directions.

Overall (4.7/10)
Sorceror is yet another Average Atari game. There are a lot of other games that are of the same exact kind, and they
completely blow this game out of the water. The game is okay, but the weirdness factor and the overall averageness make this one to avoid. Unless you are a fan of weird ass space shooters, in which case I say go for it!

This game is worth a purchase mainly because it probably only costs 10 cents at your local Goodwill Store or flea market.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/00, Updated 07/16/01