Review by Psycho Penguin

"Space Invaders on any console is cool"

When I first played Space Invaders for the Arcade, I loved it. It had cool graphics and the fast gameplay was very fun indeed. The whole premise of the game was to shoot down little aliens in a vertically scrolling shooter. So when I got the chance to play the Atari 2600 game I jumped at the chance. The game doesn't seem to be as good or as classic as the Arcade version but the game is still fun as ever to play nevertheless. Space Invaders on any console is still cool and very fun to play, and that is a SMcFadden guarantee! Now, on with my updated review to Space Invaders for the Atari 2600!!

Graphics (8.1/10)
The graphics are your basic Atari 2600 fare, the aliens are nicely designed and the ship that you use looks good as well. Overall nice graphics, standard Atari 2600 fare. The aliens, like I said before, look pretty good, they don't have the best designs to them but they do look decent enough for me to give the graphics a decent score. Your little character has a nice design to it as well, and the backgrounds have a nice variety to them, and it is cool how you can change the background colors (even though you can do that in any other Atari game also). Overall, the graphics in Space Invaders for the very well done, especially the enemy designs and the backgrounds.

Music/Sound (6.4/10)
Just like 99.4% of the Atari 2600 games, Space Invaders features absolutely no music. But the sound effects are pretty good, even if they are just the basic ''bleeps and bloops'' that we've all come to know and love from an Atari 2600 game. There is a decent variety to them, as I have heard several explosions sounds in Space Invaders, which is cool for an Atari 2600 game. Overall, there is no music featured in Space Invaders for the Atari 2600 but the sound effects are pretty good

Gameplay/Control (8.4/10)
The gameplay is a good shooter just like the arcade. Basically, you are this ship and you are looking above at several aliens. You have to kill these aliens by shooting them. But it is not that easy, because these aliens like to move around in circles. They also like to slowly creep down the screen. Therefore, you must kill the aliens before they reach the bottom of the screen, otherwise it is game over for you! I remember I played a similar game a few years back in my eighth grade math class, but the aliens were basically math problems, and you had to use the keyboard (it was a computer game) to solve them. For instance, if this problem was 7 plus 2, you would have to push 9, and the alien would die. Same basic concept. Overall, Space Invaders for the Atari 2600 has great gameplay and control!

Replay Value (Medium)
Good replay value. The game is very fun to play and features great replay value

Challenge (High)
Decent challenge. The game can get quite challenging after a while especially when the aliens go fast.

Overall (7.8/10)
Not as good as the arcade game but still fun as hell to play. Buy it. Play it. Love it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/00, Updated 07/16/01