Review by xuphor

"Best Rayman 2 port by a long shot."

Pre-statement: I have tried out all of the Rayman 2 ports, from the great Dreamcast to the horrible iPhone and DS versions. This new 3DS version is easily superior to all of them. I would like to point out that I have played all the Rayman games, and am reviewing this game as a veteran Rayman player.

Graphics: 9/10 - They are virtually identical to the Dreamcast version, which were great a decade ago, and this version adds some subtle lighting effects. Look up any screen shot from the Dreamcast version, add some Ambient Occlusion effects, and you pretty much have the 3DS version. As obvious, this version includes Stereoscopic 3D, but that impacts gameplay more than graphics.

Gameplay: 10/10 - No differences between the Dreamcast version, except for the obvious addition of Stereoscopic 3D, which I will dedicate an entire section to later. It's worth mentioning that there are occasional framerate problems, but in general, they are extremely short, and only show up in rare circumstances.

Controls: 7/10 - The Circle Pad analog control method works extremely well, and is entirely accurate. The only control problem I had was the fact the camera does mess up occasionally, and plant itself into the ground or behind walls. The L button and Left/Right on the D-Pad control the camera, but since you are forced to control Rayman's movement with the Circle Pad, it is impossible to both move him and control the camera simultaneously.

Audio: 5/10 - Both the music and voice acting are clones of the Dreamcast version, which were grating to the ears. I recommend turning the sound off entirely, I only gave it a 5/10 because it still is better than not having any sound at all.

Use of unique 3DS features: 8/10 - The 3D stereoscopic addition is an enormous improvement. I truly cannot state how much it helps this game, it is just downright amazing. The game seems to literally pop-out of the screen, and isn't a sinking depth like that of literally all of the other 3DS launch titles. I took off two points because the touch screen is only used for showing stats, such as how many Lums you have. The "touch" part of it is not used at all.

Overall: 9/10 - As I said at the start, this is easily the best Rayman 2 port available. Do not let the previous DS port fool you into thinking that this one is bad, it is the best of all the 3DS launch titles, whether or not you have played any version of Rayman 2.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/29/11

Game Release: Rayman 3D (US, 03/22/11)