Review by thewitzclan

"One of my fav Mario games!"

Obviously, if you're looking at this, then you are thinking about getting Super Mario 3D Land. Well, I'm here to tell you to buy it!

This Mario game is a mix of the 3D and 2D games, so if you liked those, then you'll LOVE this.

Powerups: 9/10

There aren't many powerups in this game, but the ones it does have are awesome. First of all, is the Mushrooms. These will, as always, make you bigger if you've been hit. The Tanooki suit returns from SMB3, allowing you to easily cross platforms, grab the top of flagpoles, and bounce on the heads of your enemies for 1up combos. The Fire Flower is also in this game, and is needed to light torches to get into secret areas. New to this game is the Boomerang suit. With this, you'll be able to reach coins you couldn't normally, and is personally my favorite. You can also get stars, which make you invincible for a limited time. There are some ? blocks that will give you a propeller block, allowing you to hold the jump button to fly up high, and fall much slower. Some ? blocks will stay on your head, giving you a bunch of coins. If you die a lot in one of the levels in the first 5 worlds, you will be given a super Tanooki suit, which gives you unlimited invincibility. Also, you will have the choice of just skipping the stage altogether.

A strong wind blows all of the Tanooki leaves off of a tree in the Mushroom Kingdom, sending them everywhere, including to Bowser and his minions, who use them to capture the Princess. Mario will find letters from Peach on the way to save her, showing what's going on.

Controls: 8/10

The controls are pretty simple. Y/X to run, A/B to jump (hold to fall slower as Tanooki Mario), analog pad to run, d-pad to select if you want the 3D to be going in, or coming out, and L/R to crouch. Crouching for a longer time will make Mario charge his back flip and rolling jump (which is done by crouching, pressing the run button, and jumping while rolling). The back flip isn't really anything special, and neither is the long jump (rolling jump minus the run button). Y/X is also how you use your powerups.

3D: 10/10

The 3D is used very well, so well, in fact, that you may actually need it if you don't want to waste time/redo a level.

Although not as good as Galaxy, it's still great. I'm not gonna say much about the graphics, just because they don't really effect gameplay.

Music: 7/10

Although it's not the best Mario music ever, it's still pretty good, but it doesn't effect gameplay.

Difficulty: Normal-Hard

This game starts out easy, until you get to world 8 (especially if you are trying to 100% the game). Once world 8 is over, the game get 3 times harder. I'm not gonna say why, just trust me.

Play time: 15 hours+

If you speed through it, then it will probably be 15 hours, but at a normal pace, it will last you a while, especially if you want to 100% it.

This game is AMAZING in my opinion, maybe not in yours (although I don't see why it wouldn't be), but it's still deserving of, at minimum, 7/10 (but still, I say 9). If you love Mario games, or are just looking for a good game on the 3DS, then buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/18/11

Game Release: Super Mario 3D Land (US, 11/13/11)