Review by The_Mighty_KELP

"A cool addition to any Pokemon lover's 3DS"

INTRODUCTION:
So I picked up this free downloadable game as soon as I got my 3DS, and I haven't regretted it since. Let me explain why.
This is exactly what you'd expect, except even better. Yes, it's "just another Pokedex", but it's so much more at the same time. This isn't just a throwaway app with useless information, it's fun and easy to use, and has a lot of cool bonus features. Here's what you get:

FEATURES:
1. All the Pokemon from the Black/White editions of the game. These are rendered in full 3D, with camera controls for rotation and zoom available. The graphics are sleek and pretty. The Pokemon are animated, meaning they bob back and forth and move realistically, and they have unique, scripted animations that you can activate with a button press or screen tap. These are cool to watch, and some of the legendaries have more than one animation, which are visually impressive.

2. All the information you could ever want. This app has more information in it than the in-game Pokedex, and it's easier to use, too. It has lists of all the egg groups, evolutions, TM's, HM's, moves learned, innate abilities, stats, and everything else I forgot to mention. You can quickly sort all of this information in multiple ways, such as sorting the Pokemon by height, weight, alphabetically, or numerically, and can sort moves by what Pokemon learn them or by power, etc. You'll not be wanting for statistically depth here.

3. A meta-game in-of itself. The app only comes with a few Pokemon unlocked. As you carry your 3DS around , you'll periodically be granted additional 'dex entries. You can trade any and all entries you have unlocked with people (this does not remove the information). My cousin and I got our 3DSes at the same time, and we each get a couple of new ones a day, so we can trade them back and forth. This adds a nice additional layer of "gotta catch 'em all" to the app, and ensures you'll keep on coming back for more.

4. Photo stickers! Each Pokemon comes with an AR marker that can be scanned by another 3DS with the 'dex. Scanning a marker will give you one unique sticker, and photoing it will give you a second unique. That's 2 for each Pokemon. Every sticker you collect goes into a stickerbook, and by collecting more, you unlock more features!

5. Other bonuses: There are different backgrounds you can view your Pokemon in, such as a sunset forest, a sky island, and a Pokeball-filled area. You can pick different viewing schemes for the window browser itself. You can pause Pokemon mid-animation and take pictures of them. You can place them into any pictures off your SD card, and can create interesting scenes with them, as you can have multiple ones in a picture. I've posed my Mii riding a dragon-type already. I'm not at 100% completion yet, but I'm sure that there are even more cool features you can unlock!

SUMMARY:
Such a cool app deserves a chance on any 3DS. It's totally free and has multiple functions, and is a fun way of keeping up to date on Pokemon. Best of all, even though there is only the Black/White Pokedex so far, there may be an update in the future that adds in the previous games' Pokemon as well! That's my wish, anyway.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/27/12

Game Release: Pokedex 3D (US, 06/06/11)