Review by blade113355

"Come take a ride in my pattywagon."

Mighty Switch Force is another entry in the Mighty series introduced by WayFoward, where each game is a platformer with a unique take on how a platformer should be. With Mighty Flip Champs you platform flipping through pages to get to your goal, in Mighty Milky Way you jump from planet to planet to escape the robo t-rex. Now we have Mighty Switch Force, where you play as Patricia Wagon (A joke on Pattywagon haha) and platform while switching blocks between two different plains

Graphics:
I wanna say first off I love the sprites used in this game, very detailed and the animation is nice and smooth. I enjoyed all the monsters and how different and interesting they looked while they were on screen. The environments are pleasant to look at and doesn't distract from the action on the foreground. I love the 3D used also, it's not BAM in your face to where it can hurt your eyes (at least for me), but you do see depth and layering which make the environments feel more alive. Only thing is I wish there were more enemy types to fight with but it's not that big of a deal. I also always have to wonder about the main people though in a WayFoward game, the women seem to always wear...interesting clothes just like in the other games they made...

9/10

Gameplay:
Ok I love 2D platformers to death, I enjoy seeing how you take the idea running from A to B while jumping over stuff can be improved and changed with new ideas. This game feels like Megaman with the water fall stage from Mystical Ninja on the SNES after ingesting a whole lot of ENERGY CRACK. The idea to use shifting plains to jump from platform to platform was a simple concept but done really well. I enjoy the puzzles of how to get to each of the female convicts that got away, while trying not to fall into spikes, or have a block push Patty into my 3DS screen killing her. Again the concept seems simple, but even a simple idea can feel grand when done right. The only thing I have to say about the gameplay is the length, I bought it around 12:30pm started at 1:00pm and finished at 3:30pm with breaks in between. It is short and I would say that's typical of a 5 dollar game, but after playing Pushmo and seeing how you can make more stages and share stages through a simple QR code I don't know what to say to be honest. Now if you are the type of person who must beat everything in a game you can try to beat all the par times to extend the length of the game. For me it is really iffy to suggest, but if you don't mind 16 stages with par times on average of 3 minutes I say don't worry about it and just enjoy the gameplay I know I did and I know I will be playing to beat those par times :D.

9/10

Story:
You are a future cop who has to get five female convicts back in custody, who let loose monsters. That's pretty much the gist of the story, again I won't be too harsh given the length of the game. I mean Portal was just survive test chambers and kill the evil computer (Still fun stuff though, and the computer did bug you the whole way through...). But since this is more gameplay focused story isn't that big of a issue here for me at least. If you want a interesting story, I'm going to have to say go look some where else. But just because it's short doesn't mean it's bad, you do have a motive and a goal to meet. And again given the length and price range I did not expect much in the story (Being also a RPG fan that is really hard to do)

7/10

Music:
To be honest my initial play through of this game I was watching videos while playing so I didn't have the music for this game on, to make up for it I went back and listened to it on my sound system (so I can hear everything). And the music and sound is really good, from the WayFoward theme to the final boss the music fit the given mood. And I'm not a music expert, but I didn't feel the urge to turn the music off so in my book it was not that bad.

8.5/10

Conclusion:
For what this game is (A 5 dollar 3DSware game) it did a pretty good job impressing me, I was excited to get this and I enjoyed playing it all the way through. I'm pretty sure I will be doing it again in the future to meet all the par times, but for my 2 cents this is a really fun game for the price. Again if you don't mind the length of the game I say go for it and take a ride in the pattywagon.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/12

Game Release: Mighty Switch Force! (US, 12/22/11)