Review by DeadDemonDude

"A New Beginning is right..."

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning is the first true install of the Harvest Moon series on the 3DS, and the first Harvest Moon to have you make your own Character anyway you want them, but more of that as I go on. This install of the series makes many changes to the old format of Harvest Moon games as well as leaves many much loved aspects in full sight.

Game play - 10/10 - The game play of HM: ANB is very much a pick up and play, as all the controls are easy to understand and there are no complicated mechanics, especially when doing the major building/blueprint mode that reminds me of the building mode in Dark Cloud. All the more complicated game play aspects, like caring for animals, and even growing giant crops are shown throughout the use of easy to read tutorials that you can look at time and again in a bookcase at your home. The multi-player aspect of this game adds another dimension to it as well, as you can see how other people have raised their animals, and you may even get a rare item, or see a giant Chick, or Alpaca.

Story - 8/10 - The story in HM : ANB is a great full length story that takes place as the town grows and even beyond the full growth of the town into your own personal marriage in the game. All the characters have their own reason for being there and forge interesting relationships with each other. The main reason the Story gets an 8 instead of a 10 is the fact that with some grammar issues and typos scattered throughout my NTSC release of the game, some parts of the story took away from an engrossing experience by having characters skip words or entire trains of thought to go to an unrelated sentence. For example, early on you are handed a Fish Trap, but then are told that it is books, it made me do a double take.

Graphics/Sound - 9/10 - The Graphics of this entry into the Harvest Moon series fits the fantastic world it belongs in as do many of the other HM games, every bit of the world fills the 3DS into a level that makes me want to jump in and join them. The sounds and music are fantastic as well, the sound effects are the same old classic Harvest Moon sounds with new music added into it. The new music flows with the world and adds an air of comfort as you play. The only real problem is the overuse of some of the festival and event musics.

Play Time/Replayability - 10/10 - Playtime of a Harvest Moon game moves as quickly as you do, if you hoard all you items, you can complete the town's restoration plans fairly quickly, but if you use up all your items, it can take a long time to complete. Replayability is another matter though, as this game can go on forever. I have personally logged over 250 hours into this game and can see myself logging in another 250 hours easily.

Final Recommendation - 9/10 - If you are a fan of relaxed play games or have a love of the series of Harvest Moon, don't wait any longer just buy it from the eShop right now. You won't regret a great game like this, but if action, fighting, and shooting are your favorite forte then stray away until Rune Factory 4 comes around.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/13

Game Release: Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning (US, 12/06/12)