Review by MarioMan847

"Just as "gold" as it's advertised to be, it's one of the best 2D Mario games ever made"

New Super Mario Bros. 2 Review

I didn't see it coming, I didn't know that New Super Mario Bros. 2 was gonna be so good. The negative reviews threw me off, they got me believing that the game would be a mediocre rehash of New Super Mario Bros. Wii with a ton of coins stacked on to it. It was raining in my area on the day that I bought New Super Mario Bros. 2. I'm not superstitious or anything, but the sheer depression of it all was starting to give me the impression that I was about to buy the first bad Super Mario game. As you can tell, my expectations on the game were low due to all the negativity that was surrounding it. But as soon as I clicked that gold cartridge into the back of my 3DS, I fell in love.

Not only is this is the best handheld Mario game, this is one of the best 2D Mario games of all time. It looks like that score for the game on GameRankings was wrong after all.

Gameplay:

There's no questioning it, this is a Mario game from top to bottom. There's those question mark blocks, there's Goombas, and there's that Princess that gets captured. It's a 27 year old concept that, to many people, is starting to lose it's luster. Fortunately, Nintendo found it necessary to add at least one new feature that separates New Super Mario Bros. 2 from other games in the New Super Mario Bros. franchise. And that gimmick is coins. At first it may seem like a questionable concept because every Mario game is filled with coins. This one is different though, as it's completely BURSTING with coins. Everywhere you turn, coins are there. Everywhere you jump, coins are there. Everywhere you run, coins are there. It's all about the coins, and collecting those shiny gold circles has never been this much fun. The new Gold Flower power-up turns Mario into a gold factory that can turn blocks and enemies into coins. The new Gold Block turns Mario's head into a coin making machine as you run (it also gives Mario a swag gold mustache!). And the Gold Ring (yes, it's different from the ones in the Sonic universe) turns the enemies gold, allowing for more coin opportunities.

This game pushes the concept of collecting a million coins, and the new addicting Coin Rush mode helps with that. Coin Rush mode randomly selects 3 levels for you to play within a short time limit and one life, but if you reach the top of the flagpole at the end of each level your coin count doubles. This mode is fun, addicting, and it's the ideal way to get that one million coin mark.

Coins aren't the only thing that makes this games special though, it's the level design. There's so much ambition and creativity in this 2D platformer. You can tell by the fun gimmicks of the levels that Nintendo just wants you to have fun, and they succeeded greatly. The one flaw with the gameplay is the bosses. Classic bosses like the Koopa Kids and Reznor from Super Mario World make a triumphant return, but unfortunately they're way too easy to be taken seriously. Besides that minor flaw, the game itself can be surprisingly challenging at times and I find it to be the second toughest New Super Mario Bros. game after New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Story:

I'm not even gonna bother. lol

Graphics/Sound:

This is where the controversy surrounding this game spirals the most. Most of the world themes are ripped directly from other New Super Mario Bros. games, and the game isn't necessarily groundbreaking when it comes to the visuals. Not only that, most of the soundtrack is recycled from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, with added “bah bahs” to make it slightly different. Personally, I'm not gonna complain about it. As much as I don't wanna use the term “If it ain't broke, don't fix it” because many people would just pass that off as damage control... I might be forced to use that term. Because the world themes worked in the other New Super Mario Bros. games, and they work here. There was nothing wrong with NSMBWii's soundtrack, and it works with this game. I should also mention the 3D effect since this is a 3DS game. The 3D only blurs up the background and adds more detail to the foreground, it's not that good.... But it doesn't matter because there's no way a 2D Mario title could actually benefit from 3D in the first place. It's all about the level design in the end, and the level design in this game is so fantastic and ambitious that the reused world themes and music seem more respectable than rehashed.

Playtime/Replayability:

Another thing I didn't see coming, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is quite packed. You can save Peach from Bowser in a few hours. Though it takes much longer to finish all the levels, get all the secret exits, and collect all the Star Coins. Not to mention Coin Rush mode and going for that challenging million coin goal. Even AFTER that, the 80+ levels are packed with a ton of neat secrets and are very fun to play over and over (just like in SMB3, SMW, and NSMBWii). Believe me, there's enough content. You get your 40 bucks worth.

Closing Comments:

Sheesh..... What can I say, Nintendo just did it again. I'm so surprised at how wrong the reviewers were about this game. Even though it's not the most original Mario title out there (referring to Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario 3D Land etc). It's definitely NOT a rehash of ANY Mario game before it. The fresh new awesome level design and the entertaining coin collecting gimmick is enough to affiliate this game with some of Nintendo's best outings. This is a bold thing to say, but I believe that New Super Mario Bros. 2 is one of the most fun 2D Mario games ever, and it's easily the best Mario adventure you're gonna get on your 3DS right now (sorry, 3D Land =P)

It's by no means the best Mario game, but it's most fun I've had with a 2D platformer in a while. Nintendo has once again proved that they're the boss in terms of developing games. And..... Wait, what are you doing reading this boring review? JOIN THE COIN RUSH! ^_^

Story: N/A (There's no story, so I'm not rating based off of this)
Music: 9/10
Playtime/Replayability: 10/10

FINAL SCORE: 9.25/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/24/12

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (US, 08/19/12)