Review by ChronoCactaur

"Super Mario Gets A Case Of Coin Collecting Craziness"

New Super Mario Bros. 2, even though it doesn't bring many new elements to the series, manages to be a fun experience regardless. Most people criticize it for not being creative enough(More of a complaint for the entire New Super Mario Bros. series), but does it really need to add something new or innovate? It's more Super Mario Bros., just hidden beneath the "New!" to appeal to the casual crowd and garner more sales. Whatever, that's Nintendo's modus operandi, meanwhile us the gamers get to enjoy another Super Mario Bros. game, and boy is it a good one.

Honestly, while it's not quite at the level of New Super Mario Bros. Wii(It comes REALLY close, though), it's literally leaps and bounds better than the first NSMB game; What I just said is a MAJOR understatement. This, New Super Mario Bros. 2, is the best original handheld 2D Mario Platformer, I am convinced. As one would expect, this entry gives the coin the spotlight, which means the game is now more oriented for speed-runs and high scores; They even included a fun yet addicting Coin Rush mode to further the "arcade" aspect.

They brought back the Koopalings, but they only get one fight each this time around. Taking, or rather re-taking, the mini-boss mantle is none other than Super Mario World's Reznor! This time, Reznor battles are expanded upon, and some of the later battles might surprise you. They're not difficult or anything, but they will surprise you coming off of Super Mario World, that's for sure. In fact, New Super Mario Bros. 2 seems to take quite a few cues from good old SMW, for the better.

As a result of the focus on coin collecting, the gameplay is at its most addictive and arcade-esque state since the days of classic Super Mario Bros. The graphics are, surprisingly, the best in the series thus far thanks to the 3DS' superior shaders compared to the Wii, and other aesthetic choices such as detailed and moving backgrounds. Also, I thought the final boss was better than NSMB Wii's final boss, and while not BETTER than NSMB1's, it's definitely less... ridiculous I should say.

In conclusion, New Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't bring much new to the table, but at the same time it doesn't need too. It's another Super Mario Bros. game, this time on 3DS. It complements Super Mario 3D land very nicely, and is very worth the $40 price tag especially if you get into Coin Rush and trying to obtain a million coins.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/31/12

Game Release: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (US, 08/19/12)