Question from Stevewins456

Can the 3DS play movies?

Off of the SD card, can the 3DS play movies? Not 3D movies - regular movies or video clips.

From: niels200683 3 years ago

Not yet, but it may come in a future update - I tried AVI, MOV, MKV and MP3 movie files so far... it does not have a video player (except for the downloaded video) - but I was hoping I could play back through the photo channel or something...

Not yet. There are plans for many features that aren't implemented yet though. For instance, they plan to make it able to stream movies through Netflix.

Actually, it seems almost certain it will be able to play movies in the future - since they have stated they plan on a video recording mode in 3D. At least, Iwata seems hell-bent on adding this feature.

Iwata: I think it will be fun if we're able to include video recording capabilities with future updates.
Itoi: I have no idea, but when you take 3D photos and videos, is there some kind of capacity limit?
Iwata: An SD card goes in this slot.
Itoi: Oh, an SD card! Like two gigabytes?
Iwata: It comes with a 2-gigabyte card, but you can, for example, use a 32-gigabyte one as well.
Itoi: Oh, okay, I see. So you seriously can take as many as you want.
Iwata: Yes. Long videos, lots of photos, they'll fit.

(Source: iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/0/5 )

Once able to record video, it will play them back too - all that is left to do then is recompiling a movie you want to view on 3DS in the same format.

Of course, it isn't definite...

well, with a flashcard.. it's possible... and the 3D can be put off...

Nintendo and hollywood working together, in future 3d movie be on 3ds format, netflix leashing 3d streaming. end may next update netflix and net , 3dsware

Well, if you have a have wi-fi spot than you can update it and get an Ok Go video. As for movies, I definitly think that in a while an update will allow it.