Can the 3DS play movies?

1. Off of the SD card, can the 3DS play movies? Not 3D movies - regular movies or video clips.

User Info: Stevewins456

Stevewins456 - 5 years ago

1. Not yet, but it may come in a future update - I tried AVI, MOV, MKV and MP3 movie files so far... it does not have a video player (except for the downloaded video) - but I was hoping I could play back through the photo channel or something...

User Info: niels200683

niels200683 (Expert) - 5 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. Not yet. There are plans for many features that aren't implemented yet though. For instance, they plan to make it able to stream movies through Netflix.

User Info: Number43

Number43 - 5 years ago 0 0
  2. Actually, it seems almost certain it will be able to play movies in the future - since they have stated they plan on a video recording mode in 3D. At least, Iwata seems hell-bent on adding this feature.

Iwata: I think it will be fun if we're able to include video recording capabilities with future updates.
    Itoi: I have no idea, but when you take 3D photos and videos, is there some kind of capacity limit?
    Iwata: An SD card goes in this slot.
    Itoi: Oh, an SD card! Like two gigabytes?
    Iwata: It comes with a 2-gigabyte card, but you can, for example, use a 32-gigabyte one as well.
    Itoi: Oh, okay, I see. So you seriously can take as many as you want.
    Iwata: Yes. Long videos, lots of photos, they'll fit.

(Source: iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/0/5 )

Once able to record video, it will play them back too - all that is left to do then is recompiling a movie you want to view on 3DS in the same format.

Of course, it isn't definite...

User Info: niels200683

niels200683 (Expert) - 5 years ago 1 0
  3. well, with a flashcard.. it's possible... and the 3D can be put off...

User Info: yetojesse

yetojesse - 5 years ago 0 0
  4. Nintendo and hollywood working together, in future 3d movie be on 3ds format, netflix leashing 3d streaming. end may next update netflix and net , 3dsware

User Info: duke285

duke285 - 5 years ago 0 0
  5. Well, if you have a have wi-fi spot than you can update it and get an Ok Go video. As for movies, I definitly think that in a while an update will allow it.

User Info: bakuganlover

bakuganlover - 5 years ago 0 0