Review by JCash1313

"Potential to be the best handheld system ever made"

I love my DS and my PSP. I've always loved handheld systems and I feel the DS had a huge library of games and the PSP had some good quality games like Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia: Final Fantasy. I heard about the 3DS and thought it might be cool but I originally had my doubts about the 3DS and how good it would be. Whether or not it would be gimmicky because of the 3D feature or whether it would be better than the DS. So far the 3DS has proven itself to be the far superior system to anything out in the handheld market to date. There are many new features that everyone will love. There is a great line up of games coming out in the near future that any gaming fan would be crazy to pass up. You have Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, and Animal Crossing coming out soon and other games down the road like Super Smash Brothers and a new Pokemon game for the RPG lovers. There is also the Virtual Console and the potential there with getting to play old favorites from the Game Boy like Donkey Kong or Super Mario. The 3DS has the potential to have to best game library of any system ever. Old games like Zelda: Ocarina of Time which many would say is one of the greatest games of all time or Star Fox 64 which many of us played as children and have fond memories of and new games like Super Smash Brothers, which will continue the already great series of games that many of us love, or Animal Crossing which will introduce new features and has had one of the best online features of any game.

Now onto the actual system. New features include a camera that takes 3D pictures and Street Pass. Street Pass is where you can walk by anyone with a 3DS in sleep mode and connect with them and get their Mii in your Mii plaza. This also helps you because you can obtain puzzle pieces from them and have them help you in the Find Mii mini game that is absolutely free. In the puzzle game you get pieces of the puzzle to make a picture of some of everyone's favorite games like Metroid or Bowser and Mario. In the Find Mii game, you get to battle RPG style with different people's Miis to rescue your own Mii. In this game you also get to unlock different items to customize your Mii with like a Mario hat. The games look fantastic on the system as well. I have played Super Street Fighter 4 and Dead or Alive and both look amazing in 3D. The images are mind blowing. Some may not like the 3D feature or it may give them a headache but you can turn the 3D feature off if needed and the games still look great. I put hours into Street Fighter and it's awesome modes and online. My only problem with the actual system at the moment is the fact that it only has two colors it comes in but I am sure that more colors will come out in the future. Some problems with the game system that people complain about is that it lacks launch titles and games right now. I think that couldn't be further from the truth. Street Fighter is a fantastic game so is Dead or Alive Dimensions and I enjoyed Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. These titles and titles such as a Zelda: Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong should hold you over until titles like Ocarina of Time and StarFox come out. There is also the fun of Street Pass with it's puzzle game and Find Mii game.

Overall the system is absolutely great. It is definitely my favorite handheld system I have ever played and I can't wait for the new games to come out and make it even better. It is a must have for anyone how loves video games and has must have titles coming out for gamers to enjoy. It's new features like the 3D, the camera and the ability to link up with others through Street Pass make it unique and add to it's overall appeal. The games coming out in the future and the games out now whether new ones or old classics on the Virtual Console really make the system. A system is only as good as the games it has for people to enjoy and this one has some great ones coming and so good ones now. I would advise everyone to go out and get their 3DS today. You will not regret the purchase and I am sure you will spend a lot of time enjoying the system like I have.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/20/11

Game Release: Nintendo 3DS (US, 03/27/11)