Review by LightLightning2

"Definitely A Must-Own for the 3DS"

Going into this game, I was worried that it was going to be a short 4-5 hour watered-down Resident Evil. To my surprise, this ended up being a 8-9 hour game with lots of intricate twists and turns. A return to the old horror style of the original games, Revelations stands out as one of the series' great games. The plot, ridiculous at first, only gets more and more over the top as you go along. With lots of cliffhangers and twists, it's sure to keep you entertained.

The gameplay works surprisingly well. The circle pad controls movement of course and then holding down R allows you to aim and then you first. It's admittedly stiff at first but once you get the hang of it, you'll be dodging enemies and speeding down corridors with ease. The game itself has a good variety of slow-paced methodical missions as well as the breakneck fast-paced action levels more akin to Resident Evil 5. Make no mistake, just because this is on a handheld does not make this game easy. The bosses are definitely challenging particularly the final boss and I found myself running low on ammo and health even after scavenging more often than not during the latter half of the game.

My only issue with the game is the multiplayer portion. While raid mode is fun, it isn't something I see that has longevity just because of the fact that it does have an end in sight and it's not really true competitive multiplayer in that sense. While deathmatch may have been out of the question, I just find myself joining lobbies with people who just want to speed through the level and get the best time possible. Times like these make me wish Nintendo would opt for a headset peripheral for their platform. Overall, the online portion is negligible.

Resident Evil Revelations is a great game and is definitely an essential component to anyone's Nintendo 3DS library. It's certainly not perfect but it's as close as we'll get and it's good old Resident Evil fun. When it comes to the Circle Pad Pro, I have no opinion on the matter as I do not own it, but playing from a Circle Pad Pro-less perspective, I can say that the game works fine without it and I never found any particular issue with the controls. If you're a fan of Resident Evil, or if you're just looking for something fresh to play, look no further as Resident Evil Revelations is sure to quench that thirst.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/12

Game Release: Resident Evil: Revelations (US, 02/07/12)