Review by JCash1313

"Best Mario Kart game so far"

I've played Mario Kart DS since the day it came out and have played through and beaten the Wii version of Mario Kart. I used to play Mario Kart for the N64 when I was younger all day. I am able to put aside nostalgia and say that this honestly trumps all of the games before it. I picked this gem up on release day and have been logging tons of hours since then. It's the best game outside of a remake for the 3DS. It's taken the Mario Kart we loved and made it better in almost every aspect. It is a must have for all 3DS owners and with it's online you will be playing this for a while.

The game play is close to the same as the previous Mario Karts. You race with the other competitors while trying to grab item boxes to use against one another and trying to collect coins to gain speed on the tracks. The new tracks on the game are brilliant. There is a lot of diversity for the new tracks and many improvements and new features on the retro tracks. The addition of underwater and gliding let you take your races to the air and seas in this new addition to a great series. The only slight issue I have with the game play is the nerfing of a skill used on the DS version called snaking. This makes the game more luck based then the DS version however it does even the playing field making the online more challenging. The online has added communities where you can play with friends or groups of people like the Gamefaq community. The online keeps up with how well you are doing with a VR point system that ranks you.

The graphics are extremely good for the 3DS and a Mario Kart game. It's much better than previous versions of the game and amazing for a handheld. The music is the same old Mario styled music we have grown to love over the years of playing the series. Overall the game is incredible, nearly flawless outside of a few nitpicks that come down to opinion such as which characters should be in the game and whether specific items are cheap. It's an incredible game that any gamer should love and has more new features then most of the games that have their yearly releases that are no different from the last version people complained about.

Rating:
Gameplay: 9.5/10
Graphics/Music: 10/10
Online: 10/10
Fun Factor: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/06/11

Game Release: Mario Kart 7 (US, 12/04/11)