Review by jenningsnash313

"Back to the good ol' Paper Mario."

I have been a hardcore fan of the Paper Mario series for my entire life. Super Paper Mario strayed from the old, turn-based combat of the first two, and it was a real turn-off for me. This game, however, goes back to the old ways but also implements some new, but less-than-spectacular, features.

Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, the two original games in the Paper Mario series, were known for their witty humor and their turn-based combat styles. The humor is one of my favorite parts of this series, and Sticker Star does a great job of replicating that humor. While Super Paper Mario also had this humor, it did take a risk by demolishing the turn-based combat style, which I did not enjoy as much. However, Paper Mario: Sticker Star brought this style of game play back, but threw in an interesting twist with the stickers.

The idea of this game is that you go around and collect stickers, which are located on walls and the floor. These are your attacks; you do not have badge points, or flower points. You simply find powerful stickers that can do these special moves instead. While you will never run out of stickers, it can get somewhat annoying having to go around and peeling stickers all the time. Still, the use of stickers adds some new special effects that the game can use, such as activating a godlike fan to blow enemies away, or smashing them with a statue of a cat. You can also get stickers of various items like bridges and use it to get to an otherwise unreachable area. This adds a new aspect of the game that the other games did not have, and I found these points to be enjoyable, yet somewhat tedious as well.

GAMEPLAY: First off, I am not a fan of the idea of collecting stickers to attack. While there are more than enough stickers to constantly have a steady supply, it is a nuisance to have to go around collecting them in the first place. However, the combat as a whole is better than Super Paper Mario's, and I am glad that they reverted to the turn-based combat. 7/10

GRAPHICS: The graphics are what they are; simple, yet they get the job done. I have not played the game with 3D, so I cannot judge how well it works, but the 2D graphics are nice. It's nothing spectacular, but for a game like this, it works. 8/10

CONTROLS: The controls are very easy to use. The only problem is there is no start menu, and a result, you cannot really "pause" the game. You can, however, open up your sticker album to pause the game. 8/10

MUSIC: Nothing amazing. There is no iconic music like in the Legend of Zelda games, but it isn't annoying. 6/10

OVERALL: If you are a fan of the Paper Mario series and have a 3DS, this game is a must-buy. It's not the best in the series, but it's definitely worth playing.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/07/13

Game Release: Paper Mario: Sticker Star (US, 11/11/12)