Review by ABXInferno

"Fun game, ruined by often frustrating puzzles and boring battles"

When I first saw the trailer of Paper Mario 3D at E3, I was pumped. While I had enjoyed Super Paper Mario greatly, I did miss the turn-based battles that Paper Mario was known for. Now, it's been 5 years since Super Paper Mario, and is Paper Mario Sticker Star worth the wait?

The graphics are as endearing as ever. The paper theme is well implemented and the various characters in this game look colorful and bright. It's just a shame that there weren't more characters. The various levels look beuatiful. It seems as if the developers put in a lot of effort into the the graphics. The 3D effect is nifty, but doesn't factor into the gameplay.

What may be the biggest shocker is that there really is no story in this game. Whereas before in the other Paper Marios where your partners had their own story, along with the Peach and Bowser intermissions, you really only have a typical Mario story, Bowser does something bad AND kidnaps Peach. While this is still acceptable, I was shocked as the previous games had at least a decent story.

The music is catchy and keeps you entertained. It does its job, but it isn't one of Nintendo's best either. The various sound effects are typical of a Mario game and the voice acting for the screams and yelps is good.

Gameplay is where Paper Mario Sticker Star shines and suffers, both at the same time. It has sometimes fun puzzles and creative bosses. Some battles are fun and require strategic thinking, but when you fight a Koopa Troopa for the 100th time, you really just want to quit. Some puzzles are so frustrating, cryptic or just tiresome, they make you want to tear all your hair off.

However, despite its flaws that might intimidate potential buyers, Paper Mario Sticker Star is still a great game in its own right. If you're looking for an RPG on the 3DS, look no further than Paper Mario Sticker Star. While there are better titles such as Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon X/Y, this is still a great RPG and well worth your money if you enjoy a fun RPG on your shiny new portable.

FINAL SCORE: 6.5/10
+ Visually stunning
+ Well-written dialogue
+ Fun gameplay at times...
- But cryptic and frustrating at others
- No real story - Bowser's back, big surprise right?

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/13, Updated 10/31/13

Game Release: Paper Mario: Sticker Star (US, 11/11/12)