Review by Armageddon_Man

"I was completely satisfied, but a lot of people are going to be disappointed."

Back when this game first came out in 1998, it was groundbreaking, shaking up the world of gaming and pretty much changing everything. It revolutionized gaming so much that OoT was hailed (and still is) as one of if not THE greatest game ever made. This enhanced port of the game keeps the spirit of the original, improving it in many ways, making it the definitive version of the game. However, not everyone will enjoy this experience.

There are three main types of people who will play this game. One, people who have never played it before and want to pick it up now, wishing to experience the magic that people hyped it up so much over. Two, people who love Ocarina of Time as one of their favorite Zelda games. The third type of person are those Zelda fans who didn't like Ocarina of Time that much, and are playing this to see if they improved on the original at all.

The gameplay is simple yet fun. You start off having nothing, then quickly obtain a sword and shield for use. These weapons are very basic, and you lack the stylish sword techniques that Twilight Princess offered, making this seem rather dated in comparison. As a result, if you haven't played this game before, you might feel slow and slugish. Frankly, that wasn't too much of a problem for me because, while Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker were amazing games, they lacked one thing or another that this game had, making them inferior. Regardless, the gameplay is dated, and if you want to feel like a badass swordsman who swords people all over the place, then frankly this game isn't for you.

One of the places this game always shined the most is in it's other items and their applications to the dungeons. For the most part, all of them are useful at different points in the game. The Slingshot is used in very dungeon, the bombs are used throughout the game, and the Boomerang makes collecting items so much easier, carrying the unique effect of being able to retrieve Heart Pieces. The only item which lack usefulness in the other dungeons aside from a few exceptions is the Iron Boots.

The dungeons are amazing. While a tad on the simple side, each one has a specific theme and sticks to it. Unfortunately, most of the child dungeons are very simplistic, making them a tutorial level of sorts. The adult dungeons are the best part of the game, displaying the interesting (and frankly sometimes disturbing) world of Ocarina of Time to it's fullest, and leaving enough mystery so you can fill in the blanks on your own.

One of the more unfortunate things of this game is the fact that the elemental arrow types are useless aside from the Light Arrows, which are only really useful due to the plot, unlike in the Wind Waker where they dispatched enemies in one hit. The poor Ice Arrows are completely worthless, serving no purpose other than to make certain enemies who you can dispatch easily either way slightly easier.

In terms of new additions, frankly, there aren't that many. The boots were made easier to use by making it so that you don't have to go to the equipment subscreen to use them, making the legendary Water Temple SO much easier. There's also the addition of the Master Quest, a second and more difficult quest of sorts that'll make the game more difficult to those who haven't played the Master Quest version before. In terms of completely new additions, there are only two major ones: The ability to refight bosses and the boss gauntlet, which are pretty much self explanatory. Unfortunately, there is no leaderboard for these, which makes this rather disappointing.

The graphics are vivid and vibrant. Although they aren't fantastic, they are well done and make the game a delight to play. Every model has either been changed or retouched, but the ones that were simply retouched can seem a bit wooden at times if you have an absurd eye for detail. In my personal opinion, it's not that big of a deal, but that sort of thing annoys some people.

The sound is the largest disappointment in the game for me. I am a man who loves music, and the music in the game was left -completely unchanged.- It's exactly the same as it was back in 1998, making it sound incredibly dated. In all honesty, this didn't really affect my game that much, as I loved the music way back when. However, the fact that they didn't even slightly retouch any of the music and only edited a few sound effects is a let down.

Overall, like I said, there are three different people who will likely play this game. As a result, I feel the need to give it a different rating for each one.

For newcomers to the series, the vivid graphics, fun world, and interesting dungeons will make this a worthy purchase for you. However, the dated feeling might put you off. As a result, I give it a 7/10.

For people who loved the original the most out of all Zelda game, and simply love the fact that you can play it, I don't even need to give you a review score because you'll pick this up anyway, and in all likelihood love it.

For people who didn't like Ocarina of Time, nothing much has changed. If you did not enjoy it the first time then you certainly won't enjoy it this time around. So for those people, I'd give it a 5/10, less depending on how much they disliked it.

OoT is among my favorite games of all time, but being objective as possible, I cannot overlook the fact that other people simply will not enjoy it like I have. As a result, I give it an 8/10.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/22/11

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (US, 06/19/11)