Review by supercerenity

"Awesome game as you remember it with some helpful updates. :)"

It was a great game on the N64 and it's an even better game on this updated Nintendo platform. Bravo to Nintendo for staying true to a game that everybody loved and is usually on the Top of any list of RPGs. The story, the music, the characters, the graphics - have all remained the same and are as delightful as I remember them. So far I have noticed several upgrades to this version that, do not affect the game directly, are small fixes to minor problems in the original. For example, the hookshot has a small target that appears when you are aiming at a surface close enough to actually use. If you're looking for a completely updated version of a game that you would hardly recognize from your childhood - look elsewhere. If you're looking for a game that's been helped along as one of the greatest games of all time, make sure you pick up a copy.

The graphics:
As I mentioned above, the graphics are the originals. The minor difference being, of course, the 3D effect. In this case, the 3D is tricky - don't catch yourself shifting from the left to the right or you'll lose your focus. However, the display is crisp and clear and does a fantastic job turning out those blocky noses that you found throughout the original. As far as I can tell, there has been no smoothing over and Nintendo has done their best to keep the graphics original.

The gameplay/interface:
The touchscreen of the 3DS greatly enhances what used to be catastrophic inventory failures. No more accidentally taking potions when you don't need them because you hit a button by mistake. Moving items into hotkey positions and out of your inventory makes gameplay much smoother. An update to the original that I think I could have done without (but is still kind of cool) is the gyro-aiming when using the slingshot and the bow and arrow. In the original it was all joystick, all the time for aiming, but now, tilting your 3DS also affects the aiming. It's a neat concept, but can be jarring if you were using the joystick! Be careful not to make any sudden movements while you're hitting those skulltullas.

The sound/music:
All of the music has been left in tact and is indistinguishable from the original. All the original ocarina tunes are included and are guaranteed to make you giddy with nostalgia - even that crazy guy in the windmill still gets his song. The sound effects, the music, and the ocarina songs will all be as you remember them.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/11

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (US, 06/19/11)