Review by Warhawk

"Worthy installment in the Kirby series"

The Kirby franchise has been around for over 30 years and with Kirby Triple Deluxe shows that the little pink fella is still going strong after all these years. Having played a couple of the games previously in the franchise so I know a little about the games but those games I played were amongst the first ones that were released back in the day. The one that introduced me to the series was the one released on the good ole Nintendo Entertainment System called Kirby's Adventure. While at the time I didn't know that was the first game if not the first to introduce the ability to steal some of the enemies' abilities to use them to your advantage. And to this day with the release of Kirby: Triple Deluxe, that tradition continues with a few new abilities that to me never seen before such as the Bell ability. Upon picking up this game without even renting it first to see how it was a risk I was willing to take and I can say that it's worth playing even if you haven't played any of the games before. That is one of the things that I enjoy about the series is that it can be easy to pick up and play.

At the start of playing the game you have three modes that you have at your disposal, Story Mode which is the main part of the series. Although the story seems simple, King Dedede is kidnapped and taken away while it is up to Kirby to save him and bring him back to Dream Land. There's Kirby Fighters, which allows the player to choose any ability on any of three difficulties and take part in a set number of rounds. And there's Dedede Drum Dash that allows you to take control of King Dedede through a serious of going from one drum to the next collecting coins. To get the other modes you have to first beat the game in order to get them unlocked such as The Arena and Dedede Tour. If you haven't played a Kirby game before, The Arena is comprised of fighting bosses that you fought throughout the game one after another. That is of course without having a chance to fill up your health in-between fights. Dedede Tour mode allows you to go through some of the stages that you went through as Kirby but the only weapon that you'll have is the hammer so you have to know how to fully utilize the hammer to get through that mode. As you progress through the Story part of the game you'll be able to collect what are known as Key chains to commemorate characters from previous Kirby games and to top it off you can collect sun stones in each stage to help unlock another level or two to play in each level. As for the boss fights go in the game, some of the ones that were in previous games can be rather easy but there are some bosses like the end level bosses that can put up more of a fight depending on your skill in the game. Let alone how you can learn their attack pattern.

While playing Triple Deluxe there was one thing that I liked about playing through it is taking advantage of utilizing the 3DS in tilting it to the right or left to get to where you need to go next. Almost reminds me of the Siaxxis that some games on the PlayStation3 by using the controller to get through a certain aspect of a level. Depending on the handheld or console and if the company that has said handheld or console that give developers a chance to try taking advantage of said part of it. At the same time it can make or break a game if it's done correctly depending on the game. Although in Kirby Triple Deluxe this feature isn't used that often only when you need to use it to get through this stage or that stage, but it can be tricky at first if you're not used to doing anything like that in a game.

I'd say one of the new things that got added for this game was something called “Hypernova”. This move allows Kirby to suck in something as a big tree or even a big enemy that's in the way. It can also be used to help get through some parts of certain parts of stages or even to get to a secret part of the stage if you know where the secret parts in those stages are located. If I were to say anything about this new ability used in certain parts of the game it makes Kirby like he has one big appetite and can devour everything in sight if it was possible to do in this game. I will say that this ability is used on one of the bosses in the game but I will not spoil on which boss that you get to use this lovely new ability on.

With Kirby Triple Deluxe I have to say that this isn't a bad installment in the Kirby series at all and is worth checking out if you're looking into something that can help you pass the time or if you're a big fan of the series. Either way I'd recommend checking it out even if you want to rent it to see how it is for yourself but if I had it my way I'd say go out and buy it anyways. Hope that the next Kirby game even if there were to be another one released on the 3DS that it'll be as enjoyable as this game or any of the other Kirby games that I played in the past.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/30/14

Game Release: Kirby: Triple Deluxe (US, 05/02/14)