Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of my favorite Arcade fighting games of all time!"

Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold used to get a barrage of quarters from my friend and I until our local arcade got a Street Fighter Alpha 3. Now that machine gets its fair share of quarters on a weekly basis. Out of all the Street Fighters, this is the second best in the entire series, spanning all the games!!! It really is an incredible fighting game that should not be overlooked by the fighting game fans out there, because Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade is definetly one of my favorite arcade fighting games of all time. In fact, if it wasn't for Marvel vs Capcom, this game would probably be my favorite Arcade fighting game of all time! That's how good it is!

Graphics (9.2/10)
The graphics in Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade are 2D bliss. There are lots of colorful backgrounds, ranging from a school playground to a street parade!!! Every screen is designed well, and the character designs are great, as well. The backgrounds are colorful and have a very nice design to them. The variety of backgrounds is wonderful, and shows that Capcom really takes the time to design some great backgrounds. The character designs are classic Street Fighter all the way, with some of the characters getting new looks (for instance, Chun Li looks a lot like her old self but she does have a new look to her, with a new outfit, etc.) A lot of the characters have new looks to them while retaining their classic looks, which I think is great. Capcom really deserves a round of applause for making such a great graphical game, and doing it in 2D also! Overall, the graphics in Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade are great!!!

Music/Sound (9.2/10)
The music and sound effects in Street Fighter Alpha 3 for Arcade are great, and definetly make up for the few problems I had with the music and sound effects in Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold for the Arcade. First thing I had a problem with the music and sound effects in Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold for the Arcade was the lack of classic Street Fighter tunes. I liked the music in Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold for the Arcade, but I missed the classic Street Fighter music. Thankfully, Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade has a lot of classic Street Fighter tunes (well, more so than Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold for the Arcade). Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade features a lot of classic Street Fighter tunes, and adds plenty of new stuff that are just as good! Great music! Sound effect wise, Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade has lots of great sound effects that really add to the overall feel of the game. Make sure to pay attention to the sounds in the game! (Well, actually, don't, because then you would kind of get beat up by your opponent ^_^) Overall, the music and sound effects in Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade are great and remove the bad taste in my mouth that the music and sound effects in Street Fighter Alpha Gold 2 for the Arcade left.

Control (8.3/10)
The control is as solid as any other Street Fighter game, but I still have a few minor complaints. The special moves and combos are difficult to pull off sometimes, otherwise it is great control in a great game. The game suffers from some of the control problems I mentioned in my review of Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the Arcade, as well. Like, mainly, balance problems. A newbie could come right in and mash some buttons, instead of trying to pull off some of the moves. So, while there are a lot of moves and variety in the game, it tends to lead to too much button mashing. So, instead of giving the control a great score, Ill give it a decent score. Overall, the control in Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade has some problems, but I'll still go ahead and give it a decent score.

Gameplay (9.7/10)
The gameplay is classic Street Fighter all the way, with a few new innovations thrown in. One, there are several new modes to choose from (A-Ism, X-Ism, and V-Ism) The modes each have their own advantages and diasdvantages, making it a strategic part of the game. There are also a ton of characters to choose from. Tons of characters, in fact, because every character that has ever appeared in a Street Fighter game is in this game! The Arcade version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 may not feature as many modes as the Playstation version of Street Fighter Alpha 3, but this is to be expected. The best part of playing this game, in my opinion, is beating up on a few friends! Fun stuff! Overall, the gameplay in Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Arcade is classic Street Fighter all the way with a few new innovations, such as the ''Isms'' The game is definetly a blast to play.

Replay Value (Medium)
Well, I don't really consider Arcade fighting games of having really high replay value, but Street Fighter Alpha 3 could be the exception to the rule. However, I mostly just play the Playstation version now.

Challenge (High)
There are a lot of characters in the game, and you have to go through a variety of opponents, each with different styles, in order to beat the game.

Overall (9.6/10)
This is one of the best and most fun Street Fighter games out there today, and deserves a fair share of your quarters. Play it today!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/06/00, Updated 07/16/01