Review by Psycho Penguin

"Another cool version of a classic arcade game"

The face of video games would probably be changed forever had it not been for the creative genius of Sigeru Miyamoto and his first smash hit, Donkey Kong. Nintendo was a struggling company at the time, and when word first struck of Donkey Kong retailers did not like the idea of the game. Well, it turns out, Nintendo got the last laugh: Donkey Kong became an arcade hit and spawned many home versions. While the Colecovision version is not the best of them, it still is an arcade perfect conversion and if you own a Colecovision you should have this game (I have this game and I dont have a coleco anymore!)

Graphics (7.9/10): The graphics are pretty much arcade perfect, which isnt really saying much considering the limited power of the arcade processors in the early 1980s. There was some slowdown however, which is why I prefer the NES version to the Colecovision version.

Music/Sound (8.4/10): The classic Donkey Kong music and sound effects were crystal clear, which made for smooth listening. Great music and good sound effects, good for a ColecoVision game.

Gameplay/Control (7.9/10): The Colecovision version of Donkey kong is almost identical to the Arcade version. The object of the game is to avoid obstacls while climbing up ladders to save Princess from the evil Donkey Kong (who later in the series becomes a good guy!). Overall the gameplay is good although there is some slowdown prevailant.

Replay Value (4.4/10): I got bored of this game after a while.

Challenge (5.8/10): This game gets wicked in the later stages.

Overall (8.2/10): An outstanding game, and one of the best on Colecovision. Some slowdown reigns in this game, which makes the game more unplayable, but it doesnt bog down too much from what is otherwise a pleasurable gaming experience. I still prefer the Nintendo Entertainment System's version but this game is a close second.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/04/00, Updated 07/16/01