Review by Psycho Penguin

"This game should be renamed Mortal Kombat Old.."

The Mortal Kombat series has never been one of my favorite fighting game series. Sure, I enjoyed parts 2 through 4 in the series (with the exception of Mortal Kombat Trilogy). But when I think of the best fighting game series, I think of series like Tekken, Street Fighter, and King of Fighters, not Mortal Kombat. Still, the Mortal Kombat series has always been a good (and very popular series) and I feel that all of the games are decent (well besides the terrible original) So I expected a decent attempt at a first Mortal Kombat game on Dreamcast. Well after playing this game, I realized that this game is like the 1st Mortal Kombat: it looks good, but again, Looks can be deceiving!

Graphics (9.6/10): Actually the graphics are outstanding, especially for a first generation Dreamcast game. The backgrounds are very nicely done and the charcater designs are well done. The bloody aspect of the game is sure to impress the people that I like to call the ''blood hounds''. The blood looks very realistic, and there is lots of it. Sure, Soul Calibur looks better, but Mortal Kombat Gold features good, if not great, graphics.

Music/Sound (3.4/10): Damn it, this is when the game falls apart. First off, hardly any of the classic Mortal Kombat music is in the game. Some of my favorite tunes from previous games in the series have been replaced with mindless banter of some of the stages in the game. lso I felt that if the developers wanted to add a nice touch to the overall feeling of the game that they could add charcater music, different music for each charcater. Alas, they did not. I am not giving them a low score because of this fact, I am giving the music and sound a low score is because most of the sound and music effects should not be coming from the advanced Dreamcast. Most Nintendo 64 games sound better than this garbage.

Gameplay/Control (2.7/10): Yay, just what I wanted to play on the Dreamcast: another boring, tedious 3D fighting game. While most of the other fighting games on the Dreamcast have been innovative (Power Stone, Marvel vs Capcom, Spul Calibur), Mortal Kombat Gold does not bring any new innovations to a tired series. In fact, this game could easily have been called ''Mortal Kombat 4: The Remix'' Because besides the addition of a few new charcaters and moves, there really isn't much new here from Mortal Kombat 4, which was not that great of a game to begin with. Overall I am very disappointed in the game and expected a lot more satisfaction.

Replay Value: Low
Challenge: Low

Overall (3.1/10): With a console full of great fighting games, ranging from Soul Calibur to Dead or Alive 2, a low quality fighting game is not acceptable. And that is what MKG is: a low quality fighting game. This game should be avoided at all costs. The console may be called the Dreamcast, but this is the kind of game that provides nightmares, not dreams.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 04/01/00, Updated 07/16/01