Review by Psycho Penguin

"This is just plain old crap."

Introduction

The Tomb Raider series has never been one of my favorites, clearly evidenced by the poor reviews I gave to the other three games in the series. I have never been able to figure out why any person not in awe of Lara Croft and her ''assets'' would even consider enjoying any games in the series. All of the games in the series featured boring puzzles, tedious gameplay, awful controls, bad music and sound effects, and terrible, grainy graphics. And most of all, they have not been very fun to play. At all. This is probably my choice for the worst series on Playstation, it just is that bad of a series.

With all those bad things rolled into one, how can anybody not help but hate this series like I do? Fortunately, the fourth game in the series improves on some of the mistakes made in the first 3 games made in the series. Regardless, its still a pretty bad game, but the series is getting closer to cross the line and enter into ''respectable'' zone. Hopefully if there is a Tomb Raider 5, that it will be better than the first four games, because I don’t have the patience to stomach another crappy T and A game.

And that’s all the Tomb Raider series has really been… a T and A series. Who in their right mind would buy this game? I mean, it is not that good at all, and a polygonal woman on the cover is no reason to buy a game, especially when it is as mediocre as this series has been over the years. Overall, I am just fed up with this entire series, and when Eidos releases a fifth game in the series, I am not even going to bother to rent it, because it will probably be just as crappy as the first four games in the series.

Graphics (5.8/10)

Well the graphics are still very pixellized and grainy, at least the game does look better than the other games in the series. The backgrounds in the game don’t seem to suffer from as much popup and slowdown, and you can actually see more than a few feet ahead of you. Still, the pixellation and graininess of the graphics cannot be ignored. I mean, think of it as a 3D game, with walls that look like crap. What do I mean? Well, let’s say you are walking down the hallway. You see a wall on the left hand side. You turn and the wall suddendly disappears! What a bunch of crap.

Character and enemy designs in the game are very interesting, to say the least. First off, let me talk about the main character of the game, who you may have heard of. Her name is Lara Croft, and she is basically a propaganda tool by Eidos to get people to buy this crappy game. She basically is a brunette with big… guns, and she looks like crap. And everyone knows my opinion of her, so let’s move on to the enemies. The enemy designs in the game are decent enough to the point where I can actually make out what the enemy is. That’s always a good sign. Otherwise, the designs in the game are average.

I have already given out the problems in the game, but let me elaborate on them. First off, the graphics in the game are extremely grainy. Well, not to the point of the other games in the series, but these graphics are still pretty grainy. I also enjoy when the walls decide to disappear suddendly. Yes, I walk down a hallway, and see a wall on the left hand side. I turn to face the wall, and there is no wall. What in the heck is up with that? I mean, why in the heck did the wall suddendly disappear on me? It’s insanity. Also, the graphics are extremely pixellized as well. All of the enemies and characters (including you know who) are grainy, and you can make out each individual pixel on them.

Overall, the graphics in the game are merely average, if I can even call it that. Most of the enemy and character designs in the game are not that good, as I can almost pick out each individual polygon and pixel on them.

Music and Sound Effects (3.6/10)

The music and sound effects in the Tomb Raider series have never been the best, but I got to give props for Eidos for at least trying to produce decent music and sound effects. The music and sound effects in the third game in the series were decent, so I expected the fourth game in the series to at least have the same decent music and sound effects. Unfortunately, the music and sound effects in the fourth game in the series were just like the first two in the series: mediocre.

Music in the game is disappointing. First off, the music does not seem to fit the feeling of the game. There is certain types of music that needs to be portrayed in certain scenes to get the feeling of the scene down right, and Eidos failed to do this. First off, there really isn’t much music featured in the game to begin with. While walking around through the stages, mostly all you hear is nothing but sound effects. But the boss theme in the game is pretty good, and there is enough music during cut scenes, etc. to keep me happy. Overall, the music in the game is decent, but there just isn’t enough.

Sound effects in the game are a mixed bag, as well. The coolest thing about the sound effects in the game is the fact that the game features voice acting. Yes, there is voice acting present in the game, as the various characters and Lara herself speak throughout the game. That is the coolest part of the sound effects. Otherwise, the sound effects in the game are decent, as there are a lot of interesting sound effects featured in the game. For instance, the sound of moving walls, gears, etc. are interesting, as is the sound of the various enemies running around. Overall, the sound effects in the game are pretty good, especially the fact that there is voice acting present.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are below average, besides the boss theme and voice acting featured in the game. I think it was a good idea for Eidos to include voice acting in the game, as the voice acting was not annoying, and was much better than just including written dialouge. Otherwise, the music and sound effects are not that good, besides the two things I just pointed out.

Gameplay/Control (4.4/10)

Wow, for the first time ever I’ve actually given a Tomb Raider game a respectable score in the gameplay category. That’s because the game actually tries to be fun, unlike the first three. I actually even went all the way through the game, unlike the other three where I quit only after a few hours. That’s because the puzzles and overall gameplay in Last Revelation are much better. Also the controls are halfway decent, making it (gasp) easy to control Lara Croft. Still, the game still could be improved a lot.

First off, I still think that this game does not try to be fun, at all. It is basically yet another poor attempt at a game by Eidos. Some of the puzzles in the game are just plain annoying, and the control system in the game is weird, to say the least. For instance, let’s say you have to jump and swing across a vine from one platform to another without falling into the water. Simple enough, right? Just push the jump button and it should be easily attained, right? Wrong! Instead, you have to push a complex series of buttons just to get from one end to another. And that, my friends, is just wrong.

Overall, I do feel that Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation does try to be a somewhat fun game. It is definitely better than the other three games in the series. The biggest problem for me is the fact that it is just not that fun to play. I still think Eidos needs to get on track and release a halfway decent Tomb Raider game, because once all of the people buying the game just for Lara Croft realize that the games suck, they are not going to buy them anymore! I mean, if there is a Tomb Raider 5, and it is a lot like the first four in the series, everyone, including myself, is going to get fed up with Eidos. If they aren’t fed up already.

=====================
Other Important Scores
=====================

Replay Value: Low

Yes, this is the first Tomb Raider game in which I actually have sat down and beaten it. It still does not mean that the game has decent replay value, because it doesn’t. It just is not that fun to play. The only reason I really decided to beat it was to say I actually beat a Tomb Raider game, and this is the best one out of the bunches. Still, ever since I have beaten the game, I have not gone near it. It just sits behind my television, yes I am too lazy to pluck it out from behind the television. Overall, the replay value in this game stinks like a subway station in New York City.

Challenge: High

The Tom Raider series has always been a very challenging series, and The Last Revelation is no exception. First off, some of the puzzles in the game are just annoying. Please consult the local strategy guide for help with some of the puzzles in the game. The bosses in the game can get to be pretty annoying, as well. But once you learn their pattern, you should have little problem with them. Overall, this game is pretty challenging.

GOOD POINTS
--------------------

-This is the best game in the series, bar none.
-The game features well-done voice acting.
-Some of the puzzles are very creative

BAD POINTS
------------------

-The series has always stunk, so saying this is the best is not saying much.
-Eidos still has failed to deliver quality gameplay and fun factor.
-The graphics in the game are pretty damn terrible.

Overall (4.3/10)