Review by Psycho Penguin

"The games that dreams are made of..."

Let me give you a bit of Background info on my Resident Evil experiences. Resident Evil was a fun game but it just was not up to par with the other games in the series. Director's Cut was anything but and was a waste of precious CD space. Resident Evil 2 was fast, fun, but the control was not up to par. Resident Evil 3 Nemesis was, and still is, one of my favorite Playstation games of all time. So I am a pretty big fan of Resident Evil and most of the games in the series. I was eagerly anticpating the American version ever since my cousin imported the Japanese version. So, last Wednesday I am walking into Target to buy Toy Commander when I see on the shelf: CODE VERONICA!!! So I scooped it up, went home, pleayed it, and the rest is history.

This is one of the best video games I have ever had the pleasure of playing, as it was a lot of fun to play and featured sharp graphics. The Resident Evil series has always been one of my favorite video game series, mainly because of the great quality game play that the series has always provided. And of all the Resident Evil games out there, Code Veronica is my favorite, mainly because while it is still the same fun game that the Resident Evil series has provided, but with a new innovative game play system.

The story line in this game is rather plain, as it is in a lot of the other games of the series. The Resident Evil series has always not been known for the story line to begin with, so I was not really too disappointed with the lack of any real story line in the game, because the story line in the game is still better than it is in a game like Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. Good story line here, although nothing special.

These graphics are INCREDIBLE, some of the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game! The whole game just looks so nice! Think of it as Resident Evil 3 only with better looking charcater and enemy designs. Also, the pre rendered backgrounds of the other games in the series are still featured, but the backgrounds look a heck of a lot better than they did before. Adding to the fun is the updated menu screens and title screens, which look fantastic. Overall, I love the graphics in this game!! Playstation 2 who?

The thing that you must remember about the Resident Evil series is that the game is very spooky, so to create this kind of atmosphere there is not a lot of music or sound effects. Whatever music is featured is more of a dark, mysterious type chant rather than a happy go lucky melody. The music is good and the sound effects sound realistic (especially when you fire your gun at a crawling zombie). Great music and sound effects.

The game play is classic Resident Evil action all the way, with new innovations thrown into the mix. The aiming system featured in Nemesis is back but this time has been tweaked with and made better. The story line focuses again on Claire Redfield, and her hunt for her brother Chris. The game is 3D now so the camera follows Claire as she moves. This is a great addition in terms of fixing up complaints from the previous games.

This game is my favorite game in the entire Resident Evil series because it is so much fun to play, and the control in the game is so solid, which is a surprise considering the Dreamcast controller has never been my favorite. I expected the control in the game to suck, because the control in the Playstation Resident Evil series was not that good, and I did not enjoy it, so I did not know what to expect it in the Sega Dreamcast version. It turns out that I actually enjoy the control in the game and got used to it fairly quickly, because you can use both the digital pad and analog pad, which is always a good thing.

The zapping system featured in Resident Evil 2 was not in Nemesis but is back for Code Veronica. The game is 2 GDs, one for Claire and one for Chris. The zapping system has been improved and allows you to carry items and events from one GD to the next. This is definitely a good idea, in my opinion, and is a welcome idea to the series, because I loved seeing it in part two. Overall the game is wonderful and shows improvement over the classic third game in the series.

The Resident Evil series has always provided the player with decent replay value, in my opinion, and this game is no exception. I had a lot of fun playing this game, and therefore that fact alone means that there is a lot of replay value in the game. The addition of stuff like secrets and hidden weapons is also a good idea that adds to the replay value a lot, as well. The main drawing point of the replay value, of course, is the fact that this is such a fun game to play. This is how the replay value should be determined in any game anyways.

This is not the most challenging game out there, but Code Veronica is a decent challenge, even experts to the series who beat the first three games in the series may even have problems with the game, due to the relative complexity and challenge of it on the hardest mode. The rookie mode is still a pretty easy challenge, and should only be taken on by newbies to the series.

My 2nd favorite game on Dreamcast, the game is even better than what I expected. Great job, Capcom! This is one of my favorite games on the Sega Dreamcast, and Capcom really did a great job porting their suddenly most popular series to the Sega Dreamcast, in style! This is definitely a great game! I would recommend picking it up if you are a fan of the Resident Evil series, because this is my favorite game in the entire Resident Evil series. Capcom did an amazing job for sure.

''Don't forget to buy Marvel vs Capcom along with Resident Evil: Code Veronica!!''

GOOD POINTS
-Innovative game play.
-The zapping system is back.
-Incredible graphics.

BAD POINTS
-Not the most challenging game around.
-RE3 is better in certain areas.
-Story line is still not top quality.

RATINGS
Storyline - 5/10
Graphics - 10/10
Music/Sound Effects - 9/10
Gameplay/Control - 10/10
Replay Value - Medium
Challenge - Low
Overall - 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/12/00, Updated 07/16/01