Review by Nexxt

"It didn't appeal to me, but a good game..."

Introduction

Originally, I was going to rent Starcraft 64. But since it wasn't in, I ended up renting Ogre Battle 64. I was hesitant because I really don't like many RPGs. And luckily, this is more strategy than RPG. Almost like a Real Time Strategy game, but not quite. But it is an enjoyable game....for a little while...it does get a little repetive after a while, doing basically the same thing on every mission.

I've seen better on the Nintendo entertainment System. Little people that almost have no movement other than their bodies making their way across the room. Not very ''nice'' to look at. The field map on the other hand is well done. The characters are smooth and rounded. If it wasn't for those cinematics, the score would have easily gone up a few points.

I thought that the game had a very good story, basically you play as a Knight who ends up joing the Southern Division and after a few things happen that bother you, you turn on them and join the revolution army. There are 6 different endings and the way that you choose to fight your battles, make decisions, etc will determine which one you get.

Difficult. It can take a long time before you can really get used to the controls. There's A LOT of options as well. It sort of takes getting used to sorting your men into different parties. But after you Do learn the controls, it gets fun. Too bad there wasn't so many options...I think I only learned about half of them before I had to take it back. But it DOES help by pressing [Z] on the field map because a complete list of all of your units and the strongholds in the missions are listed and a single push of the A button can bring you there.

Annoying music is the biggest compliment I can give it. There is no voice acting, no real sound effects, just this wierd music that plays through the cut scenes and the field map. It gets on your nerves after a while, but a lot of music in games DOES get annoying

Rent/Buy

Well, if you are obsessed with the Ogre Battle series, than nothing I can say will probably change your mind. But if you're NOT obsessed with them then I say to at least give the game a chance and rent it, you never know. You might find the game better than I did. I said it before, I don't like RPGs and if this WAS an RPG, then I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it at all. But since it had strategy elements to it, it was an okay game.

Overview