Review by Psycho Penguin

"A fun and fast futuristic racer"

Star Wars has always have its fair share of video games. From the original games on NES to Star Wars: Episode 1 Phantom Menace on Playstation, the series has been well represented. However, not all of these games have been good. Some have just flat out sucked. So I had mixed feelings before playing Star Wars Episode 1: Racer. Would it be a fun and fast racing game? Or will it be like all the other star wars games, plus the phantom menace movie itself: dissapointing? Well, after playing it for 30 minutes at Target I decided to rent the game out. After renting it, I loved it so much I bought the dang game. And I probably would have bought the N64 w/Star Wars Episode 1 Racer package had I not had a Nintendo 64. The game is that good. Sure it does have problems, and sure the upcoming Dreamcast version will probably be better, but still, Star Wars Episode 1: Racer is one of my favorite racing games on the Nintendo 64. Well worth at least a rental.

Graphics (9.6/10): The first time I saw these graphics, at target, I nearly passed out. At first I thought it was a Dreamcast game. And that is even without the expansion pak put in! Amazingly, these graphics were great. Some of the best graphics I have ever seen on the Nintendo 64. The backgrounds are very well done and the overall 3D graphics are outstanding. The racer designs are well done, also, and the game screens are superbly put together. Great graphics.

Music/Sound (8.6/10): Okay, so the Nintendo 64 has never been known for its music qualities, but I gotta admit that the music and sound effects in this game were very well done. John Carpenter did some of the music in the game, and the quality of the orchestration shows that Mr.Carpenter really put the time and effort into making the music. All the other tracks are pretty good also. The sound effects may be your average fare but they sound better than usual. Great music and sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (9.1/10): The gameplay in Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer is mostly your basic racing game, at least it seems that way at first. Then you notice all the cool modes you can do, all the powerups you can get for your racer, etc. Now I might not be sure about this, but there was no create a racer mode in the game. If there wasn't one featured, I think putting one in for the sequel would be a great idea because that kind of thing has always seemed to be fun as well as popular. Control wise, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer is top notch. navigating through the menus and then through the gameplay is very easily done. Overall great gameplay and control.

Replay value: Medium
Challenge: Medium

Overall (9.1/10): One of the better Nintendo 64 games around.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/05/00, Updated 07/16/01