Review by Nexxt

"Starwars is back in a whole new way"

Introduction

Rogue Squadron is a flight simulator. It is based on Star Wars. Well, Luke's adventures with his partners anyways....The game was developed by Lucas Arts. This game was also the second game ever (maybe first, not sure) to use the expansion pak to upgrade the graphics. A lot of people wouldn't notice that the graphics get clearer and less choppy, but that's their fault.

The graphics are excellent. It's all that you would want in a flight simulator. Their are crisp, clean and wonderfully textured. The worlds are very detailed as well. The lighting effects are done VERY well. There is almost no loss in framerate anywhere so the game does not lose it's ''polished'' look.

Game Play: 8/10

I like the game play. It was done very well. Basically, you use the control stick (analog)to move your ship around. The A and B buttons do different things, depending on the ship that you have out. They might fire torpedos, blasters, or just a really powerful cannon. You also have Z to use your primary weapon, usually blasters. At the beginning of every level, you get to choose the ship that you want to play with, these range from X-Wings to A-Wings, even Tie Fighters! Most of the time though, you have to beat it with the X-Wing to be able to use another ship.

Story: ?/10

Story? When I was playing, I don't recall a story. Luke and friends basically just fly from planet to planet, recieving mission objectives from their commander. I may have missed something, but I'm 90% sure there isn't a story. Just a fun flight sim.

Sound/Music: 7/10

There are some nice sound effects in this game, and some of it is voice acted, but it gets really annoying hearing your friends call out for help, when there's no possible way to help them. They just keep yelling ''Help Luke!'' over and over, it gets on your nerves. The blasters have the same sound as they did in the movies, so nothing wrong there.

Rent/Buy: Buy

This game is a VERY good game that is worth your time and money. Almost everything about it, except those annoying voices is perfect. The only thing that could make it better would have to have been a multiplayer mode. Oh well. I guess the single player does get repetive after a while, but don't all Flight Simulators?

Last Comments: Great........

This game is wonderful, the best flight sim on the N64 (are there any others)

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/11/01, Updated 07/31/03