Review by Psycho Penguin

"Usually the Mario sequels are weird, this is no exception"

Okay, first off, this is not the true sequel to Super Mario Bros. The real sequel came out in Japan, but Nintendo feared that it was too much of the same as the first (ugh, don’t you hate it when they do that.... Square Soft...) So they found this really corny game named Doki! Doki! Panic and just basically used the Mario characters. This game is really different from all the other games in the series. Oh yeah, the true sequel can be found in Super Mario All Stars as ''The Lost Levels'' or Mario DX for the Game Boy Color. Now onto the review!!

Bowser is not in the game. The princess is a selectable and playable character. Get the feeling that this isn’t the same old ''save the princess'' story line? Well, it isn’t. This time you play Mario, who is having a dream. Suddenly this evil thing named Wart comes in and invades Mario's dreams. Now Mario must ravel to Dream World and defeat Wart so that the citizens can sleep once again!! This is decidedly original and different than the other games in the series.

The graphics have a much different feel to them than the original game in the series. The first game featured dreary backgrounds and dull enemy designs. The second game features much more colorful backgrounds and the enemy and character designs are better (Mario and Luigi look a lot different) Good graphics for a NES game released in the time frame of 1989. I really did like the graphics in this game, as the game had a completely different look than that of the other games in the NES series.

The music is not as good as the other games in the series, but the music is still pretty good. The music is rather interesting, as it sounds a lot different than I expected. There are not as many classic Mario tunes as I expected, but the music featured in the game is still pretty good. I especially liked the music that played in the desert stages, and the boss theme is also classic. I really did enjoy the music in the game, even if it is not completely what I expected. The music is definitely good, but just a little different.

Sound effects in the game are a little cut and dry, there is not much here when it comes to sound effects, all you really get is the basic hopping and throwing sounds. I do like the sound of the POW box when you throw it and the earth rumbles, that is really cool. Otherwise, however, there is not much sound effects to be heard, it would have been cool to hear some voice acting, but I am not going to complain too much. I did like the sound effects, so it is all good.

This game is much different than the other games in the series. Instead of jumping on turtles and goombas and hitting boxes, you instead pick up vegetables and throw them at enemies. You can also pick up enemies to thrown, POW boxes to kill any enemy on screen, bombs to throw at enemies, 1-up mushrooms, and potions. The potions can be used to gain mushrooms (which add a extra life point for the current stage) and coins (which give you turns at the slot machine at the end of the round.

The bosses are very cool, and despite the fact that you fight the same mini boss the whole game, he is still a challenge because there are different ways to beat him almost every time. Good game play, different from the other games in the series. I really did enjoy playing this game, although it is quite possibly the weirdest game ever made, at least when it comes to the Mario series. The innovation is definitely a good thing, however. Control in the game is rather solid, as well. I found it rather easy to control the characters.

This game is good, but I’d rather play Mario 3 or some other game any day. That does not mean that this game has terrible replay value, because you will end up wanting to play this game a lot. You will probably get tired of this game after a while, but until then you will have a lot of fun playing through this game, I guarantee that. After a while, you will want to play other games, but it is fun while it lasts. The game has decent enough replay value, but do not expect anything extraordinary.

This very well may be the toughest game in the whole Mario series, mainly because the game is so different and it takes a little while to get used to. Also the bosses are challenging and the later stages get quite challenging. However, this is definitely not an insanely challenging game, it is a decent challenge however, especially since it is so different than any of the other Mario games. This means that basically the game is challenging because it will take you some time to get used to, also a lot of the stages are challenging. This increases the replay value even more.

Its fun, and decidedly different. If you're bored of the same old ''go through the stages, jumping on enemies, trying to save the princess'' story line, this game would be a good alternative because its so different. But if you love the other games in the series you might not be too thrilled with this game. This game is fun, but not for everyone. I like this game, but it doesn’t blow my mind like Mario 1, 3, and World. It’s a good purchase, especially for the price. But don’t expect an outstanding game.

Good Points
-This review is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The graphics in the game are pretty good.
-The game is rather innovative and unlike anything ever seen before.
-It’s a Mario game! If that is not a good point, then I do not know what is!

Not So Good Points
-The music and sound effects in the game could have been better.
-It is the worst of the three Mario games on NES.
-It is not even a true Mario game.
-It is not the most challenging game around.

I Run Down the Ratings… DaLadiesMan style!
Storyline – 9.2/10
Graphics – 8.3/10
Music and Sound Effects – 8.1/10
Gameplay and Control – 8.8/10
Replay Value – A Little Above Average
Challenge – A Little Bit Above Average
Buy it? – Oh Hell yeah!
Overall – 9.1/10
The Last Line: It may be a little on the weird side, but this is a classic game that is well worth a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/02/00, Updated 07/16/01