Review by Psycho Penguin

"A great game overshadowed by its sequel"

Introduction

Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link is a very good game. Unfortunately, a lot of people do not tend to think so. I often used to wonder why, then it hit me: Zelda 2 is so much different than part one. The original Zelda was a overhead RPG/Adventure, but this game was a side scrolling adventure. Reagardless of what kind of game it is, it's still a very good game that doesn't deserve to be overlooked.

Graphics (7.3/10)

Yeah, the graphics are decent. The overworld design is pretty good, and the graphics out there range from lakes to forests to caves. But I do have a problem with the fact that the dungeons aren't that great looking and some of the areas look
like they came straight from Super Mario Bros.

Character designsin the game were pretty good. I especially enjoyed the fact that the characters in the different towns had a somewhat different look to them. In other words, all the characters looked somewhat different from one another. However, this is not true in some cases, as I noticed that sometimes the women in the towns have the same look to them, but they are wearing a different color dress. Oh well, the character designs are still pretty good overall.

Enemy designsin the game were awesome, as the enemies each had their own unique look to them. However, some of the enemy designs were a little uninspired, especially the red and blue slimes. I mean, I have seen slimes in every Role Playing/Adventure game, why not try to make something a little different? Regardless, the enemy designs are still pretty good overall.

Overall, the graphics in the game aren't perfect but they get the job done.

Music/Sound (2.3/10)

The music and sound effects in this game are pretty terrible, in my opinion, especially some of the horrific music that has to be listened too throughout the game. Make sure you have a remote control with mute button handy before inserting this game into your NES.

Music: OOHH... they took the classic Zelda music out and replaced it with this nonsense?? First off the overworld music is okay, but soon gets on my nerves. The music in the original overworld was much better. The music in the towns isn't much better. The only thing that saves this category from getting a zero(!) is the dungeon music, which is actually pretty good.

Sound effect wise, the sound effects in the game are actually kind of decent, and are definitely much better than the terrible music featured in the game. I especially like the fact that your sword makes a different noise whenever you have full energy, because the sword does a different movement (it shoots out of your hand instead of staying in your hand). Overall, the sound effects in the game are much better than the terrible music.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are a mixed bag. The music in the game is just plain old terrible, but the sound effects are somewhat decent.

Gameplay/Control (9.3/10)

Yes, Zelda 2 is a lot different than the other games in the series. But that doesn't mean the game is bad. On the contrare, it is actually quite good, and I think the game is the dark horse of the series.

Gameplay: This game is a lot different than the first. The original Zelda featured only one overworld, with no towns, to explore. But this game featured several towns to visit, as well as different lands to visit. The leveling up system is unique. After gaining a certain amount of experience points (gained from killing enemies or getting Experience bags), you can choose one of three categories to level up in: Life, Magic, or Attack. The game is a side scrolling adventure true and through, but its really fun.

Controlin the game is decent. Like I have mentioned, your sword does different things depending on how much energy you have. If you have full energy, the sword shoots out of your hand, so you have a longer attack range. But if you get hit and don't have full energy, you have to walk up to your enemies to kill them. This was also a feature in the original Zelda. Other than that, the control is greart, besides the fact that you have to press start and go to the menu to get certain items. Overall, the control is above average, and the NES controller helps the control out.

Overall, the game is decidedly different than the other games in the series, but it is still a great game, even if I do still prefer the original Zelda.

==========================
Other Important Scores
==========================

Challenge (Very Difficult)

This game is very difficult. It will definitely take you a while to beat.

Replay Value (Medium)

You'll probably want to play it through once, then forget about it.

Fun Factor (8.8/10)

Very fun but very different at the same time

Overall (8.8/10)

This is a great game, but parts one and three exceed it when it comes to fun factor. Regardless, its still one of the better NES adventure games.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/07/00, Updated 07/16/01