Review by Psycho Penguin

"Why this game is considered an all time classic, I'll never know"

I have never really understood some opinions about certain video games. One of the main video game opinions I have never understood is the general consensus opinion of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. But there have been other video game opinions I have disagreed with a lot happens to be for an old NES game that a lot of people have declared to be a classic game. This ''classic'' game is none other than a game made by Capcom, called Ghosts N Goblins. I have never really understood the basic, general opinion that a lot of people have about this game.

A lot of people do consider this game to be classic, but I just do not see how they can say that while keeping a straight look on their face. About the only thing this game should ever be remembered for is the extreme challenge level. Yeah, this is one of, if not the, most challenging video games ever made. The extreme challenge level of this game would be enough to send nearly any average video game player off the deep end, but do not forget that the graphics are extremely messed up, and the music and sound effects get extremely annoying after about four seconds of game play.

So, why could people consider this game to be an all time classic when I found it to be nothing more than yet another boring platformer with a stupid premise and boring game play? Maybe it is the fact that Capcom made this game. Maybe it is the fact that it is pretty challenging and kind of fun. Maybe, just maybe, it is the fact I usually disagree with the general consensus when it comes to the popular games. All I know is I really did not find much to like about a game in which many people consider to be classic and very fun to play. But again, maybe it is just me and not the game itself.

The story line to the game has such a simple premise that the creators of the game over at Capcom should learn how to make more advanced and innovative games. This time, guess who you get to rescue? Yeah, that's right, a princess! And guess who that princess has been kidnapped by? That's right, the evil bad guy! Wow, what creativity on the parts of Capcom when I can literally run through the story line because it is so basic. The most original part of the story line is the fact that the main hero is a strong knight, but he actually likes to waddle around like a duck and run around in his underwear, as well. If that is not the weirdest thing I have ever seen in a story line, then I do not know what is.

The graphics in the game are fairly simple yet pretty nicely done, nevertheless. I liked the character designs in the game a lot, as they were fairly well done. The main character was a pretty small dude with a big moustache or something like that. He had the design of a knight, but when he got hit sometimes he would turn into a duck (which looked just like an actual duck!) or sometimes he would decide to run in his underwear! (The underwear looked pretty funny, as well.) I liked the enemy designs in the game a lot, as they were well varied and very well designed. Some of the bosses look a little plain (as well as the final boss, who wins my award for least intimidating boss of all time, hands down) but the regular enemies were designed pretty nicely.

The backgrounds in the game are solid and designed pretty nicely, although most of them are just your basic black screen with some not so colorful design on them. The backgrounds range from a steeple with big men on them to a forest-like setting. These are some of the better backgrounds I have seen from a game this early made. Think of the backgrounds from Super Mario Brothers and add a variety of backgrounds like forests, buildings, etc. Those are the kind of backgrounds featured in Ghosts N Goblins. Like I said, they are not the best, but I did like the variety and overall designs of them.

The music in the game is annoying and will quickly prove to get on your nerves. If the game was not already frustraing enough as is, you now have to put up with some of the most annoying music to ever be featured in a video game. And people wonder why I do not like this game that much! The variety of music was okay, but sadly the variety was a variety of bad things, not good things. It was definitely varied in a bad way because most of the music did not fit in with the stages, at all. Most of it came off as a sort of beeping and various amounts of it, and did not sound like music at all. And I thought the overworld music in Final Fantasy 9 was uninspired and annoying!

The sound effects in the game are just as uninspired as the music. I did not like the fact that the sound effects were definitely not as varied as I would have hoped for. Just listen to the sounds of the characters and enemies dying. It just did not have a certain feeling to it that I would have expected. I wish there would have been more sound effects featured in the game, as well. How cool would it have been to hear the sound of you falling into the water with splashing included? I think that would have been really cool, but sadly Capcom did not think so, so they did not include what would have been a really cool sound effect. I did not like the sound effects much in this game, at all, and think Capcom should have put a much better effort into them than the effort they ended up putting out.

The control in the game is pretty solid, but not perfect. I liked how easy it was to move your character around, and how he could jump and throw his weapons out pretty easily, but changing your weapons often became a chore. And when you got down to your underwear, you could no longer do stuff that you could do as a knight. So, that was a disappointing aspect of the control of the game. And some of the enemies do not exactly help the situation, as they often force you to do these precision jumps which the control does not help you out on, which usually mean you will end up dying if you try to do precision jumps a lot. So, the control could have been improved a lot in a few general areas, but overall it was okay.

Ghosts 'n Goblins is your basic platformer in the reins of Mario, but with some new twists. Instead of going around jumping on enemies and collecting coins, this time you play the role of a knight who must go around collecting treasure chests. Inside these treasure chests, you will find certain items. Sometimes you will find gold, sometimes you will find new and improved weapons. There are basically five types of weapons you can get. Of the five items (flames, sword, javelin, shield and axe) the flame and axe seem the coolest, but they really both stink. I just use the javelin because it has a relatively long firing range, so I used that a lot.

This game is pretty challenging but it tries to help you out in certain aspects. At least it lets you get hit a few times before you die, although it does not lend you any favors in that regard, because once you get hit you run around in your underwear for some strange reason. Could the guy not have put some clothes on underneath the armor? Or maybe there is some strange Nintendo Logic™ to that, that Epoetker will get to one day. You basically get to go through entire stages by only getting hit twice before dying, which gets pretty challenging. However, the game throws a curveball and again helps you out by allowing you to start a stage halfway through if you get to the point where the red demon chases you around. That red demon is from, Demon's Crest, by the way.

Like I have mentioned before, I do not consider this game to be a classic like everyone does. It just seems that this game is too much like a basic, average everyday platformer to be considered an all time classic. Besides the extreme challenge level of the game, there is not much here that I will remember about this game. It is just another boring game that I did not really have much fun playing through, at all. And just when you think you have beaten it, well I am not going to spoil anything but let me say Capcom dropped the ball on that one. The enemies in this game are fairly stupid, as sometimes they chase after you and sometimes they just run after you for no reason. Or sometimes they will throw things at you, but throw it the other way. Huh? It's amazing that the game is as challenging as it is with some of the stupid enemies that were included.

The replay value, as you may expect, is not that high. Because of the fact the game was just not that fun and incredibly challenging, you will not want to replay it much at all after you beat it, if you even get around to beating it. I have owned this game for the better part of three years and have completed it once, well not totally completed it but got to the first ending. After that, the game just got so much more challenging than it already was, which just leads to the frustration. This game was just not very fun, and was extremely challenging, so of course I did not replay it that much.

This game is pretty challenging but it tries to help you out in certain aspects. At least it lets you get hit a few times before you die, although it does not lend you any favors in that regard, because once you get hit you run around in your underwear for some strange reason. You basically get to go through entire stages by only getting hit twice before dying, which gets pretty challenging. However, the game throws a curveball and again helps you out by allowing you to start a stage halfway through if you get to the point where the red demon chases you around. This is a pretty challenging game which is at least sort of helped by some of the leninent rules provided by Capcom in the game.

Overall, this is one of the most fun games I have ever played. Yeah, right. I hated this game for the most part. Why a lot of people consider this game to be an all time classic, I will never know. I found it to be extremely boring, tedious, and for the most part, way too challenging. I still cannot see what most people found to be so cool about this game, because it is just like a lot of other games of the genre in a lot of aspects. Oh wow, you get to jump between platforms. Every other platform game lets you do that too, that's why they are called platform games! Oh wow, you get to shoot out spears at enemies! You can do that in other games too! I just did not find out what was so special about this game, that's all.

Good Points
-The graphics in the game were pretty well done.
-I guess some basic elements of the game play were okay.

Not So Good Points
-The music and sound effects were just plain awful.
-The game was very challenging and got frustrating quickly.
-The story line of the game was boring and not so original.
-The actual game play itself was tedious and boring.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan Style!
Story Line - 2.1/0
Graphics - 7.8/10
Music - 1.1/10
Sound Effects - 0.9/10
Control - 1.3/10
Game Play - 2.3/10
Replay Value - Below Average
Challenge - Way Above Average (Mike Sanders)
Is this game worth a purchase? - Nope
Overall - 2.3/10

The Last Line
I will never quite understand fully what makes this game so special in so many people's eyes, because I can not really stand this game. Almost every thing about this game is horrible, and the game was just so totally frustrating. Play another game in the genre, anything but this total filfth.

And that's a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 12/16/00, Updated 07/16/01