Review by Psycho Penguin

"Kick! Punch! Rinse and Repeat!"

Well, i have never really been a huge fan of these kung fu games, mainly because they involve little to no skill to really master the game. Kick, punch, a few flips, thats pretty much it. However, I actually enjoyed two Kung Fu games on the Nintendo Entertainment System! What a shock! Anyways, the two kung fu games I enjoyed on the NES were none other than Kung Fu Heroes and this game, Kung Fu. Again, there really wasn't much strategy involved in either of the two games, but the games were very fun to play (more so with Kung Fu than Kung Fu Heroes). I love this game!

Graphics (7.7/10)
The graphics in Kung Fu are actually pretty good. Don't forget that this was a first generation NES game (as evidenced by the cover of the game) so the graphics aren't going to be as good as some of the later NES games. First off, the backgrounds were very well designed, even though they all were basically a blue screen with some artistry on it for an added touch. Enemy and character designs were great, as they each had their own unique look to them. Overall good graphics.

Music/Sound (8.3/10)
The music and sound effects in Kung Fu were also pretty good for a first generation NES game. The music had a great beat to it, and although it seemed to repeat itself a lot it never really got annoying, which is always a good thing in my opinion. Sound effect wise, Kung Fu has all the sounds you could possible expect, and does them very well. Overall, Kung Fu for the Nintendo Entertainment System has great music and sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (8.3/10)
Yes, Kung Fu is a kung fu game. (yeah, i know, quite a shock, eh? ^_^) But I happened to enjoy it a lot more than any of the other kung fu games I have played, mainly because it is so much fun to play. First off, the basic structure of the game is simple: climb from floor to floor beating up on baddies. Early on, the game is easy enough, but soon it gets really complicated and challenging, because enem ies pop out everywhere, from the walls to the floor. Overall, fun and classic gameplay.

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: High

Overall (8.3/10)
Kung Fu is one of, if not, my favorite kung fu game ever.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/26/00, Updated 07/16/01