Review by Psycho Penguin

"Also known as "How Kemco screwed up a popular comic book series""

I have played a lot of terrible NES games over the years. These range from games like Heroes of the Lance to Total recall. The NES was the console known for crappy video games. There were a lot of terrible games released for the console. One of these games was a game called Spy vs. Spy. I really did not enjoy this game at all, as I felt that it was a rather terrible attempt at making a fun video game.

I really did expect this game to be pretty good, but sadly I was rather let down by the entire experience. This has got to be one of the worst video games I have ever played. I know I end up saying that a lot, but I really mean it in this case. This is just a terrible game that does not deserve to have the MAD name written on it. The basic game play of the game is horrible, and it is not helped out by the terrible graphics and annoying music, at all. This is simply a piece of crap, and it is in the same realm of a Heroes of a Lance or Hydlide. Yes, it is that damn bad.

I bought this game from Funcoland a couple of summers ago, and I really did not know what to expect from the game, although I was hoping that it would be a good game, because I have always been a big fan of Mad Magazine, and the comic strip Spy vs Spy in particular. It is one of the best comic strips I have ever read, so I expected the game to be just as good. Sadly, the game was actually a piece of garbage. I was really expecting this game to be good, especially after paying 10 bucks for it. I went home and played it, and I was fed up with it rather quickly. How could the company that made this game screw it up as badly as they did? It boggles my mind.

Graphically, this is one of the worst video games I have ever seen, at least when it comes to the NES. Now, there is a split screen, and on the top screen is one section, and on the bottom is another section. The top section is for the white spy, and the bottom section is for the black spy. I was really disappointed by the look of the whole video game, as the graphics struck me as very basic. Now, as many of you may know, I do not really care if a game’s graphics are basic, but I have to make an exception here because the graphics are the bad kind of basic.

Music and sound effects in the game are pretty awful, as well. The music in the game has got to be some of the worst and most annoying music I have ever heard in a video game, period. I was really fed up with the annoying background theme that kept on playing, and I wish the producers of this game would have featured better background music in the game, as I really did not like the one that was featured at all. It is some of the worst music ever, and it detracted from a game that was already terrible enough, as is. The sound effects in the game are awful, as well, and I did not like the sound effects in the game much, at all.

The game not only has terrible graphics and music, but the game is absolutely horrific to play. The main object of the game is to plant traps on your opponent. Of course, the game is so horrific to play that you will not enjoy playing this game at all. The control in the game is horrible, because you have to control so many different items at once, and you will not learn how to use all the different items, and learn all the basic controls, at once, so you will end up getting stuck and not know how to use the basic items. This was a rather terrible idea, to say the least. The game is not fun to either, and there are a lot better games out there.

You will not want to replay this game much at all after you first play it. The reasons for this are quite simple. Number one, you will be so annoyed by the music in the game that you will almost give up right away. If you do decide to put the game on mute or whatever, you will discover that this is one of the worst video games ever made, and I was really fed up with this game. So, the game has next to none replay value, at all, which is definitely a disappointing thing, because I was expecting to play this game for a while.

Challenging games are a dime a dozen, but there are only a few games that enter in the realm of ''super challenges''. Spy vs. Spy is one of these games. This is one of the most challenging video games ever, well it is definitely one of the most challenging games ever released for the NES console, that is for sure. The control in the game is so messed up, you will often spend many minutes walking around, not figuring out what to do. It got frustrating rather quickly, sadly to say.

Overall, this is one of the worst video games I have ever played, and I will definitely advise avoiding this game. This is simply a horrific game. If the terrible and annoying background music from hell will not make you want to quit playing, the horrific control and lack of fun factor of the game will. I can not really think of a single reason as to wanting to play this game, so I advise you avoid this game, because chances are you will hate it if you do decide to play it. And that’s the bottom line!

Good Points
-This review is not as long or tedious as a King Broccoli review.
(Get the picture? There are NO good points to this game ^_^)

-Pulls out the encylopedia-

Not So Good Points
-The music in the game is horrifically annoying.
-The sound effects are just as bad.
-The graphics in the game are plain awful.
-The basic game play and control scream hellish.

I Run Down the Ratings… SMcFadden style!
Storyline – Not Available
Graphics – 1.3/10
Music and Sound Effects – 1.3/10
Gameplay and Control – 0.4/10
Replay Value – Heroes of the Lance
Challenge – Heroes of the Lance
Buy? – Hell no. If you value your life, you will not play this game.
Overall – 0.4/10
The Last Line: This game doesn’t even deserve a 1/10. Stay far, far away from this crapper.

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/00, Updated 07/16/01