Review by Psycho Penguin

"Basically a ripoff of Xevious.. but what a ripoff it is!"

Time: 8/11/98 4:11 PM ET
Place: FuncoLand, New York City
My Mission: to get as much NES games as I possibly could

Well, as it turns out, Starship Hector was one of these games. I really did not think much of the game (after all, i had bought about 70 other NES games along with it). But after playing the game for a while, I realized that I had made a great decision when buying the game, because I enjoyed the game. Basically, it is a lot like Xevious. But in my opinion, it is better than Xevious! Graphics, music, gameplay... it's all top notch. Anyways, enough talk, on with my review for Starship Hector!

Graphics (9.2/10)
Starship Hector featured great enemy designs, and great backgrounds! The backgrounds were especially well done, mainly because of the colorful variety of them. Unlike some other games (*cough* Tiger Heli *cough*), the backgrounds had variety to them. Some stages had jungle settings, some had military settings. Each background was unique. Overall, the graphics in this game were very well done, especially the backgrounds.

Music/Sound (9.6/10)
I still remember most of the music in this game. That is truly the test of great music. If I can remember the music in an old NES game, then the music must be something special. And the music in Starship Hector is definetly something special. From the first stage to the final stage, the music is very well done. Sound effect wise, Starship Hector has all of the expected explosion, etc. Overall, great music and great sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (9.4/10)
Starship Hector is a lot like Xevious in terms of how the basic gameplay is structured. You're a spaceship, and you go around killing enemies. It is a vertical shooter all the way, and the game is really fun to play. There are lots of items to collect, and the game is challenging. Controlling your ship is also very easy, as the different buttons lead to different actions. Overall, great gameplay and great control in a great game.

Replay Value
High

Challenge
High

Overall (9.3/10)
If you can find this game, buy it! I bought it for only 79 cents! What a deal!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/21/00, Updated 07/16/01