Review by Psycho Penguin

"The answer to everyone's burning question... "What is SMcFadden's most hated RPG?""

When asked about classic role-playinjg game series, the name Ultima is bound to pop up. In fact, the Ultima series is one of the most popular video game series ever made. There are a lot of fans of the series, even though the series has really only been featured on old personal computers, although there have been several console versions of the series.

One of the console versions of this series was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System way back in 1989 or so. The name of this game was none other than Ultima: Exodus. Not only was this the first Ultima game to be released in the NES, it was also the first Ultima game to be released on any console, period. This is just a pretty unimportant fact that I threw at you for no reason whatsoever.

There are a lot of fans of this game and the Ultima series as a whole. I cannot say how the Ultima series is (seeing as this is the only Ultima game I ever attempted to play), but I can say that this game is the bottom feeder of the role playing game genre. Not only is this the worst role playing game I have ever played, it is one of the worst video games I have ever played, period. There are no redeeming qualities to this game whatsoever, as it features awful graphics, terrible music, an awful gameplay system that features the battle system from hell, as well as other fun stuff. I just did not enjoy this game, at all.

The graphics in the game are rather plain and simple. Now, I usually have no problems with plain and basic graphics, but I have to make an exception here. First off, you start off the game by having to chose a character and their stats. The background is a simple black background, with white simple text. The character designs in the game are rather plain and simple, and I was not a big fan of them, at all. Once you get into the actual world map, you are treated to some of the worst graphics you will ever see in a video game. Not only is there a ton of graphical breakup, but the backgrounds are very pixellized, to say the least.

Music and sound effects in the game were a mixed bag. I think that music is a very important element in any good role playing game, so I thought Ultima: Exodus had to feature good music in order to have any chance of being a decent role playing game. Unfortunately for us, the game really did not feature any good music, at all. I hated most of the music in the game, as the world map music was crappy. I also disliked the battle theme in the game a lot, as it got annoying rather quickly. I wish FCI would have taken a little more time in producing good music, because I disliked the music in the game a lot. It is too bad also, because I would have liked to hear good music in this game.

Sound effects in the game were rather disappointing, as well. I was hoping to hear some varied sound effects that did not get annoying, but the sound effects in the game were very annoying, to say the least. I especially hated the sound effects during battle, as I get fed up with them rather quickly. I did not enjoy listening to either the music or sound effects much, at all.

The control in the game, in a word, sucks. I had a lot of problems doing anything in the game. The last thing this game needed is bad control, because the actual gameplay is horrible. One of the things that I have always enjoyed in role-playing games is a battle system. The battle system in Ultima: Exodus was rather innovative, however I did not like it much, at all. This was actually kind of real time battling, because you could move your characters around the grid, making it almost like a strategy game when it comes to battle system, but it was a rather crappy battle system, in my opinion. I just plain old did not enjoy playing this game much, at all.

After playing through this game, you will not want to replay it much, at all. Well, if you share similar sentiments as me, you will not want to replay it much. However, if you have always been a fan of the Ultima series, you may enjoy this game. I know because I have some internet friends *cough* Runinruder *cough* who still play this little game to this day. I stopped playing it a long time ago, however.

This is probably the most challenging role playing game I have ever played, and it is definitely one of the most challenging role playing games I have ever played, that's for sure. I really had a tough time playing this game, mainly because I was overwhelmed by the somewhat complex battle system and very complex menu system. It was rather complicated and made the game a lot more challenging than it already is.

Overall, this is the worst role playing game I have yet to play. I really had a terrible time playing this game, although there are some fans of the game out there. You may end up enjoying the game, although I did not. I do have a rather odd taste in video games to begin with, however. I think the game had terrible graphics, horrible music, gameplay from hell, and more. I especially hated the character building and battle system in the game. I advise you to stay away from this game, even if you may enjoy it. There are definitely better things to do with your time.

Good Points
-This review is not as long or tedious as a King Broccoli review.
(Get the picture? There are NO good points to this game ^_^)

-Pulls out the encylopedia-

Bad Points
-The horrible graphics.
-The battle system is the worst I have ever seen in a role playing game.
-I really hated building up characters in the game.
-The crappy music and sound effects.

I Run Down The Ratings... SMcFadden Style!
Storyline - 0.8/10
Graphics - 2.1/10
Music and Sound Effects - 1.3/10
Gameplay and Control - 0.7/10
Replay Value - Heroes of the Lance
Challenge - Heroes of the Lance
Overall - 0.7/10
The Last Line: You now know what my worst role playing game ever is. Go now.

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/00, Updated 07/16/01