Review by Psycho Penguin

"Gasp! This game is ALMOST as good as SC2000!"

Well, due to my little iMac I have here, I have not played a ton of PC games. But of all the ones I have played, my favorite one without a doubt is Sim City 2000. So, I had high expectations for Sim City 3000. VERY high expectations. I expected it to be as fun as its predecessors, but add new improvements and innovations. Did it live up to my expectations? Yes, although I am not entirely satisfied with the game. Anyways, on with my review to the PC version of Sim City 3000!

Graphics (9.3/10)
Sim City 2000 had good graphics, but the graphics in 3000 are much better. First off, everything looks more realistic. The towers, streets, everything. There are also lots of people in the game, and they all look pretty good as well. Unfortunately, there are some problems that need to be addressed. First, sometimes these graphics get on my nerves. I yearn to see the more user friendly graphics in Sim City 2000. Regardless, the graphics in this game are good. Overall, these graphics may be better than Sim City 2000, but I prefer the more user friendly graphics in Sim City 2000.

Music/Sound (2.9/10)
The game's only major flaw, the music in this game is terrible. It sounds like something from Serenity Now. Now, I have no problem with Serenity Now, but I feel the music is not suited for this type of game. I much rather prefer the techno hip hop beats of its predecessors. Overall, the music in the game is terrible. The sound effects are okay, but nothing major. Just your basic sound effects here.

Gameplay/Control (9.3/10)
Sim City 2000 was one of my favorite all time games, mainly because of all the fun that went into building a city. I used to sit on my cousin's PC for hours on end, building the ultimate city. Well, I hate to say, but Sim City 3000 just wasn't as much fun. Sure, it offered more options, but it just didn't feel as fun. It is also less realistic than Sim City 2000 (you don't have to build power lines, the AI just kind of connects point A to point B automatically). Overall, I prefer Sim City 2000, but the gameplay is pretty well done (just not as realistic)

Replay Value
Medium (sigh)

Challenge
Medium

Overall (9.2/10)
Not what I expected, I still prefer Sim City 2000, but oh well, this game is great as well.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/21/00, Updated 07/16/01