Review by Nexxt

"Wow, a good first person shooter!"

Introduction

Red Faction. This game is easily one of the most innovative first person shooters on the market right now. It's also one of my personal favorites. I like everything about the game. It is the first game to use ''Geo-Mod'' Technology. It stands for Geometry Modification. It means that the environment can be altered in lots of ways. For example, pick up a rocket launcher and shoot a rocket at a wall. It will leave a hole in the wall! You can build tunnels, etc with this. This game is almost a cross between a couple of other things. It's almost like Half-Life, including all the loading. The story is a lot like Total Recall. You might not know the movie, it's an old one, but a good one.

Graphics: 9

There's not a lot of flaws here. The textures are done very well. The environments are perfectly detailed. My only complaint is the the faces. During the cut-scenes, the faces look like something along the lines of a cardboard cut-out. The reloading animations for excellent though. Every gun has a different one and they're all very detailed. But it's the little things that make it great. For example, the assault rifle has a little counter on the sde of it that tells you how much ammo is in it. You don't need to look at it though, since your ammo is displayed somewhere else. Another example is the rocket launcher. You would usually aim with the curser, but there's a black screen sticking out the side, if you aim at somebody, you notice it's heat module.

Game Play: 8

The controls can be VERY frustrating at first, then, once you get used to them, it's like a genius designed the default control scheme! You move forward, backward, side to side, etc with the left analog stick, while you look around with the right. You use every button on the controller for something (except the L3 and R3 buttons) Whether it be reloading, hiding your weapon, looking at a mission log, etc. One thing I hate about the gameplay is that it's one big level. Yep, the entire game is one big level. I liked it in games like GoldenEye for the N64 where you choose the level you want to go to. Another thing, since it's one big level, you have the occasion where the game will stop and begin loading another part. This can be very annoying. One minute, your running after an enemy, the next, you're stuck on the screen while a little ''loading'' box pops up.

Story: 8

Like i said before, it has a Total recall story line. Even though there isn't much of a story line. You are Parker. He's a miner that is living on Mars. He came to Mars because the evil corporation known as Ultor promised him a great life. In returnm for trusting them, he gets thrown into a mine day after day, digging down into Mars. Then the plague came. It started killing off miners left and right. You never knew of you were next or if you were going to live another day. Then, Parker lost it. He saw a miner brutally assaulted by a guard. parker killed the guard, took his gun and was on a frantic run for his life. that's basically the story, other than that, Hendrix, a security guard for Ultor (He doesn't like Ultor, so he's helping Parker) gives him new objectives.

Sound/Music: 9

The sound fits the game. The music fits the game. Every gun has a realistic sound to it. The voices of the characters match their faces. There's even voice acting, which means they move their mouths as they talk. The guards are annoying though because they say the same phases over and over and over. ''Don't shoot, I don't have a gun!'' Then the guard turns around and fires a pistol at you. Liars! As I was saying, the music fits the game pewrfectly. If you're in a calm place where there isn't any danger, the music will be calm. If you're in a room with suspense, lots of guards, the music will get your heart racing.

Online Play: 7

This is where the game takes a hit. It only has a couple of standard maps for first person shooters, like capture the flag, etc. Along with that, it just doesn't have the feeling that Quake or Unreal Tournamnet gives you while playing the game. Again, it might be the fact that I don't like futuristic games. On the PlayStation 2 version of red Faction, the multiplayer was frantic and fun. I can't seem to find that on Red Faction. I've looked, but I just can't seem to find it.

Rent/Buy: Buy!

This game is worth a buy. It is a long game, it will keep you entertained for hours. There's 4 difficulty levels. I'm sure you won't beat them all any time soon after you get it. For added replay value, there's a great multiplayer with lots of characters and levels to choose from. There's only your stanbdard deathmatch, but it will still keep you entertained.

Last Comments: A very long and fun First Person Shooter.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/30/01, Updated 07/31/03