Review by Psycho Penguin

"Why don't you just play it for real?"

Introduction

Solitare is a very interesting game to review. On one hand, I have always had a lot of fun playing the real card game. On the other hand, the computer version of the game features interesting controls and the fact that you cannot have the fun of playing the game for real, with real card, etc. The feeling just isn't there. So, I had a lot of mixed emotions while playing this game, and especially when it came time to review this game.

In the end, I will just say that Solitare is fun no matter what, but I did not have a very fun time playing the computerized version of the game. Perhaps the main advantage to the computer version is the fact that you cannot cheat in it like you can in the real card game. On the other hand, it is fun to cheat on the real card game, so there is definitely mixed feelings about this. I would rather play it for real, but this isn't a bad choice.

Graphics (8.3/10)

The graphics in the game are very interesting. What do you expect to see when it comes to graphics in the game? All you really get is the basic green color background (representing the card table), the basic cards (wow, there are queens of spades and they look different than the king of spades), and that's about it. Don't expect the most graphically intense game, that's for sure.

Yes, there really isn't much in terms of innovation in the graphics in the game, but what did you expect? These graphics are perfectly acceptable, and I really didn't expect much more than what was featured. Overall, the graphics in the game are plain and basic but I accept that.

Music and Sound Effects (NA)

I would have liked to see some music and sound effects featured in the game, but there wasn't any featured, so let's move on.

Gameplay and Control (3.7/10)

There are two ways of really rating this game. On one hand, Solitare is always fun to play, whether playing it on computer or for real. On the other hand, the feeling is just not there when playing the computer version of the game. I still much rather would play the game for real instead of playing the computerized version, but I have no really major complaints about the game.

Control: Okay, so maybe I have one. The friggin control. Now, I am getting fed up with using the mouse to click on a card and then move it around. It really wasn't that bad at first, but it soon got extremely annoying, especially when you would click on the card and it wouldn't register. That got really annoying after a while.

Overall, this game isn't that bad, but I think the main reason I have a problem with this game is the fact that I would much rather play the real game instead of the computerized version. Regardless, this isn't the worst choice, but if you have a pack of cards on hand, use them instead.

===========================
Other Important Scores
===========================

Replay Value: Medium

Like I have already mentioned, I much rather would play the actual card game instead of the computerized version. Therefore, this game does not have a huge replay value for me, but I would play it still probably if my iMac had Solitare featured. Overall, the replay value is decent.

Challenge: Medium

I advise turning the difficulty level up for this one if you are a solitare master. I have always had problems with solitare, and this game is no exception. Overall, the challenge really depends on how good you are at the game to begin with.

GOOD POINTS
----------------

-Solitare is always fun to play.
-Can prove to be rather addicting.
-Hours and hours of fun.

BAD POINTS
-------------

-I would rather play the real card game.
-No music or sound effects.
-Graphics are rather basic.

Overall (3.8/10)