Review by Psycho Penguin

"Two great games equal a solid purchase"

There are two great games on Namco Museum Volume 1. While New Rally X and Pole Posistion are both fun to play, even today, the reason to get this compliation is because of two of the most classic games ever: Galaga and Pac Man. Who has never played these two games before?? Anyways, Im going to go away from my normal review standard and just give a brief description of each game, because there really is no point in reviewing graphics for the whole game, because there are seven individual classic games on the compliation.

The games featured on Namco Museum Volume 1 are: Pac Man, Galaga, Pole Posistion, Bosconian, Rally X, New Rally X, and Toy Pop.

Graphics (in the Museum) are not very good. You walk around in the museum in a first person view, which is kinda stupid because sometimes you're ramming a wall but you do not know you are because you can't see it!! Also, it is very hard to identify where you're going, and what you're looking at. The walls are just a plain old gray, and overall the graphics in the museum are drab and boring.

Music (in the Museum) is just plain annoying. You'll really want to turn the music off while in there.

Okay now let me give you a description of each one of the games:

Pac Man: for the two of you that have never heard of this game: you are a yellow circle. Your object in the game are to eat power pellets while escaping some ghosts. This reissue features new sounds, and I noticed that the ghosts are dumber than ever.

Galaga: Classic space shooter. Its a vertical shooter where bands of enemies fly at you in strange little patterns. It's a fun, classic game.

Pole Posistion: I had never played tis game before the complation, and let me tell you, this game is very challenging. I have yet to beat the first lap of the first stage because its very hard to control your car while making sharp turns. I usually end up in the 100-110 range in terms of top scores.

Rally X: I havent played this game on the complation yet, but I played it a long time ago, I belive in the arcades. I rememeber it to be a weird and pretty boring car game.

New Rally X: Basically Rally X with a fe new enhancements.

Bosconian: A very fun shooter which I think is just as good as Galaga. It has more variety than Galaga, including going through asteroid fields.

ToyPop: still havent played the darn thing.

OVERALL (8/10)
I reccomend getting this game just for Pac Man and Galaga. I have never seen anyone with the whole collection (they only sell Volumes 1 and 3 now), but overall I think Volume 3 is the best in the series. But this game's worth a purchase, if not for nostalgaia's sake.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/07/00, Updated 07/16/01