Review by Psycho Penguin

"Don't go chasing waterfalls...."

A few years back TLC released this song called ''Waterfalls''. One of the main lines in the song was ''Don't go chasing waterfalls''. Why do I bring this up? Because I consider 989 Studios of needing to learn this lesson. Apparently they wanted to make a Goldeneye/Metal Gear Solid killer for PSX. I consider Goldeneye and Metal Gear Solid to be the ''waterfalls'', and 989 studios to be the person chasing the waterfalls. So basically, 989 Studios meant well in creating Sysphon Filter, but they should have not been so focused on creating the ''Goldeneye/Metal Gear Solid killer'', but instead focused on a great gameplay experience. I feel that if they would have done that then the game could have been much better than it already was. Syphon Filter is, for all intents and purposes, a great game. It features shar graphics and killer gameplay. However, it seems kind of rushed. I mean, I soon got bored of the game. Regardless, it's still good. Just not what I expected.

Graphics (8.6/10): The graphics in the game are actually very good for a Playstation game. The backgrounds are designed very well, and the character designs are good. Some of the enemies don't look too good, and there are some signs of graininess and pixellation, but it really is no big deal. All you need to know is Metal Gear Solid looks better than this game, but Syphon Filter still looks good nevertheless.

Music/Sound (9.1/10): Great music! Seriously, every stage has at least one good piece of music. The sound effects are great as well, ranging from the radio call signals to the overall voices. Yes, the voice acting is good, although not up to par with Metal Gear Solid. Still, the music and sound effects are great in their own right.

Gameplay/Control (6.9/10): This is where Syphon Filter lacks, in my opinion. The game is not as much like Metal Gear Solid as I expected, but it still does have a lot in common. You play Gabe Logan, who must destroy this secret service. It really is a cool story that unwinds as the game moves on. Also, there is a good variety of stages. But unfortunately the game gets boring by the 5th or 6th stage. This is really too bad. Good gameplay but it gets really boring after a while.

Replay Value: Low
Challenge: Medium

Overall (7.2/10): Syphon Filter is just average, but its pretty good for a rental.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/00, Updated 07/16/01