Review by Psycho Penguin

"SquareSoft could have done a much better job..."

I hate Tobal Number 1. It is one of the worst fighting games I have ever played in my entire life (and I have played my fair share of fighting games over the years). It is an absolute pathetic attemp by SquareSoft, the king of RPGs, to make a fighting game. While the other fighting games released by SquareSoft are very good, this game just isn't that good to play, and the only thing it was worth buying for was the Final Fantasy 7 Demo, and now its not even worth it because Final Fantasy 7 has been out for a while.

GRAPHICS 2.5/10
The graphics are mind numbingly pathetic it is funny. The charcater designs are okay, but appear very blocky and rigged once actually fighting in the game. The game is also quite spazzy and has a weird feeling to it, with all of those stupid colors, which get very distracting.

CONTROL 7/10
The control is pretty solid, as the basic moves are easy to input, but since it's a fighting game, it's next to impossible to figure out all the special moves for the charcaters. Even when you figure them out, they're still difficult to perform.

GAMEPLAY 5/10
The gameplay is pretty good but it is just your average fighting game overall. Basically, you choose your combatant, then fight someone. Been there, done that. Thankfully, the very cool Quest mode adds replay value to the game.

FUN FACTOR 4/10
Its fun for alittle while. Buy Bushido Blade instead.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 07/16/01