Review by Psycho Penguin

"Makes Street Sk8er look like Hydlide on a bad day"

Introduction

Tony Hawk is an immortal skateboarding god that skateboarders like me look up to as an inspiration. So when I heard that
he had a new skateboarding game coming out, I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I thought it was really cool that Tony Hawk was coming out with his own skateboarding game. On the other hand, I worried that if the game sucked (there's
always a chance) that the non-skateboarders out there wouldn't think much of Tony Hawk, and that another great game idea was wasted.

But as the days went on, and more and previews emerged, I was getting more comfortable that the game might turn out to be something special. After playing a great demo, I was convinced: This was going to be the second game I buy the day it came out (the first being Final Fantasy 8). So when that fateful day came to buy the game, I skateboarded down to
the local Target and bought the last copy of it (it sold out in 2 hours!!) Then I skateboarded home and played it for a bit. Was I disappointed? Not in the least! Not only is this the best skateboarding game of all time, its my second favorite Playstation game of all time!! Everyone and their mother needs to own this fantastic game!!

Graphics (9/10)

The game's graphics are very good and feature outstanding charcater designs, great backgrounds, and lush and detailed enviornments. And unlike that other skateboarding game (Cough*StreetSkater*Cough), the game's graphics aren't so bright and colorful. The stages in the game are very detailed, and the attention to detail is phenomenal. For instance, in the shopping mall there are moving elevators and some nice stores. The school features a playground and some picnic benches. Its the attention to detail that makes Tony Hawk such a wonderful graphical detail.

Character designsin the game are fantastic. Each of the skaters in the game, from Chad Muska to Kareem Campbell to Tony Hawk himself all look like their real life skateboarding selves. I like how the models look and I think Activision did a great job in making the character models look very realistic. Overall, the character designs in the game are fantastic!

Backgrounds and stage designsin the game are great as well, as there is a variety of stages in the game. For instance, there is one stage where you are in a schoolyard, and everything looks perfect and the stage is designed a lot like an actual schoolyard, from the picnic benches to the playgrounds. There are a lot of stage designs as well but my favorite has got to be the schoolyard. Overall, the abckgrounds and stage designs in the game are fantastic.

Overall, the graphics in the game are great. The character designs are outstanding as they look a lot like the actual skaters, and the backgrounds and stage designs in the game are great, as well. Great graphics, although not quite to the level of the Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast versions.

Music/Sound (9.6/10)

The game's soundtrack is absolutely wonderful!! It features real songs from real bands, and the music is great. The music fits the skateboaring feel of the game perfectly. The sound effects are killer as well, ranging from the sound of your skateboarding gliding across asphalt to the pain you feel when you don't land that killer move and land up on the ground. Great audio effects!

Musicin the game is great. I like the fact that the audio uses real songs from real bands, for instance Crystal Method provides some cool tunes for the game, as does several other bands. I really like some of the songs in the game, and think it would be cool if this game got a soundtrack, because it definitely deserves one! More so than some of the games that have been getting soundtracks lately. Overall, the music in this game is great!

Sound effect wise, the sound effects in the game are top notch, as well. The Playstation has always been known to deliver top notch sound effects and this game is no exception. The sound of the various skateboarding moves, from ollies to 360's, sound very realistic, and the sound of the skateboard cruising along the pavement also sounds very realistic. hell, everything in this game sounds very realistic! Overall, the sound effects in the game are top notch.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are top notch, which is to be expected from such a great game. The music is great and features real bands, and the sound effects are also great and sound very realistic. Great job, Activision!

Gameplay/Control (9.6/10)

Here's what separates Tony Hawk's Pro Skater from any other skateboarding game ever made. The control is fantastic, and pulling off every move is very easy. The moves are each performed by pressing a certain button combination, although sometimes it didn't always work out that way. For instance, sometimes I would do the same button combination two times in a row and end up doing two different moves.

The game features all the top skateboarders in the world, including Chad Muska, Kareem Campbell, and of course, Tony Hawk (yeah, like he wouldn't be in a game named after him). There are several different modes, including a carrer mode and an outstanding multiplayer mode, where you race against the clock, trying to outscore the other player. You get points by doing moves. The harder the move, the more points you get.

Another fun part of the game, in my opinion, is the multiplayer mode. The multiplayer modes in the game are great, and like Goldeneye you can choose whatever stages you have completed and use them for multiplayer madness. For instance, lets say you have completed the game and want to race in one of the stages. You can choose whatever stage you want, and then do the multiplayer mode in that stage. Great fun.

There is also another mode in Tony Hawk's pro Skater that is worth checking out, and that is the awesome career mode. You can choose a skater than race through a whole career. This is how you unlock a bunch of secrets, including more secrets and more. I don't think you can collect all the tapes, either, without completing the career mode. There is even a create a skateboarder feature which is really cool as well.

Overall, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is a great game. It has excellent control, is fun to play, and has a lot of game modes. It makes other skateboaring games look like crap like Heroes of the Lance, which is saying a lot because there have been a few decent skateboarding games released over the years.

=============================
Other Important Scores
=============================

Challenge (Medium)

I didnt think that the game was too challenging. The biggest challenge of the game, in my opinion, is collecting all the tapes. There are a lot of modes to complete too, but most of the stages are easy. I also had little trouble pulling off some of the more complex moves in the game, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Replay Value (High)

You'll be playing this one for a while. Eevn with two other versions of this game (like the recently released Dreamcast version) already out, you will still want to play this game for a while, mainly because of the oustanding depth and loads of secrets that the game provides.

GOOD POINTS
---------------

-Outstanding depth with plenty of modes to play
-Rocking soundtrack featuring lots of real life bands
-Loads and loads of fun.

BAD POINTS
---------------

-Not as graphically good as the Dreamcast version. Like I care.
-The sequel will probably be better,
-That's really all I can think of. This game rocks.

Fun Factor and Overall (9.810)

This game blows the ''competition'' out of the water, and makes Street Skater look like crap (and it wasn't really that bad of a game) Regardless if you're a skateboarding fan or not, you need to get this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/12/00, Updated 07/16/01