Review by Psycho Penguin

"Terrible translation of a pretty bad arcade game"

I remember playing Children of the Atom a few years back in the arcades and remember enjoying it (of course, this was before MSH). Soon, however, I got bored of it and stopped playing it. After seeing it on sale for only 10 bucks, I decided to purchase the Playstation game. That was a bad purchase on my part, mainly because this game ain't all that great. Sure it was good a long time ago back in the arcade, but in the days of Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel Super Heroes, it is very easy to see the faults in this terrible translation.

GRAPHICS (5/10): The graphics are decent and are better than what I expected. There is a lot of slowdown,m but that usually happens when trying to covert a arcade game to a Playstation game. The backgrounds are decent, colorful, and have lots of variety, and the charcater designs are average but look just like their comic book counterparts, so I can't complain about there designs too much.

CONTROL (7/10): Sigh, yet another fighting game in which all I know how to do is punch and kick. Like most fighting games, the control is great but the special moves are very dificult to pull off. However, some of the moves are easy to pull off, especially IceMan's ice wave.

GAMEPLAY (5/10): It's a fighting game. And its 2D. Pick your charcater, fight eight guys, win the game. Hmm, where have I seen that idea before? Seriosuly, the gameplay is pretty good, as there are some sort of special meter in the game (still don't know what it means, though.) There is a good selection of charctaers to choose from, including perrenial favorites Wolverine and Colossus. (oo bad my personal fave Nightcrawler isn't present). Overall, the same old gameplay, but maybe "same old" aint all that bad.

FUN FACTOR (4/10): You can't really fault Capcom for this game as Acclaim and Probe made it. This is a not so fun game that should be avoided, mainly because there are so much better choices out there.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 07/16/01