Review by solid snake

"A simply average game with average gameplay"

Upon playing this game I noticed alot of details found in older games that were much more successful(Winback, Syphon Filter 1 and 2, etc.) Im not normally so disappointed with a 3rd person shooter like this but for this game I'll make an exception. So let me explain why I feel this way.

Gameplay- 6/10: The gameplay in X Squad is mildly entertaining. I could see where if you were doing well in the game that you would want to continue it until the end, but if you were stuck in a certain part of the game I doubt many would continue on. It simply gets boring and frustrating too damn fast. As for the controls I would have to say that they were pretty easy to work with and could be learned very quickly(an hour tops). It wasnt the type of game with weird control settings that take a long time to figure out.

Story- 4/10: Ive gotta say I was pretty disappointed with the storyline. Its just the same old thing, Im afraid. The year is 2037 and the government loses contact with one of its top secret research facilities. So they send you and your team in...blah blah blah. hmmm.....whats that you say? *yawn*? You are correct, sir. I wouldnt normally say it in a review like this but the X Squad storyline just plain sucks.

Graphics and Sound- 6/10: The graphics in X Squad were pretty damn good actually. No glitches or bugs as far as I recall. Its something you'll want to come back to simply FOR the graphics and not really anything else. As for the sound, it was ok I suppose. Gives you a small feeling that your really there but I guess that depends on the system your playing on. (For example, a surround sound system would give a much better effect then a little mono tv)

So am I going to want to play again?- 5/10: I suppose you might want to return to X Squad if you happened to like Winback(n64 and ps2). It has alot in common with that game so if you liked Winback you'll like this. However, if you become bored with it fast I doubt you'll want to return to it and I highly doubt you would want to buy it. Which gets on to my next point...

To buy or not to buy- (No rating): Under the correct circumstances I suppose you would want to buy X Squad. But that would ONLY be right if you had rented the game first and really liked it after playing for about 2-3 hours. Hear me out on this one though. RENT THIS GAME FIRST!!! A few short hours of gameplay will tell you whether or not its your thing. Im usually really into 3rd and 1st person shooters but this game didnt have ANYTHING special to it.

In the long run Id say X Squad is merely an average game. I didnt like it at all, the graphics were ok, everything else was terrible, but Im sure there are people out there who would disagree with me. So rent this game, play it for awhile and then think it over. Thank you all and seeya later.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 08/12/01, Updated 08/12/01