Review by Moochthemonkey

"Do NOT MAKE ME compare Spyro the purple dinosaur to Barney the purple dragon!"

If you did, that would be a hard dilemma. The fourth game now in the series, you would think it would be better, especially now since it is on the Playstation 2. This game falls short from Spyro 3 and Spyro 2. Once again, you go around gathering gems and dragonflies, flaming your foes and gliding from spot to spot. But it lacks in the “outside extras” and replay value of the game.

Remember Ripto from Spyro 2? Well he has come back for revenge. The storyline is no better than the other Spyro games though. It still has its sly remarks and stupidly funny cracks that you could not help to take a slight chuckle over, which is probably the best part of the game. I have always liked Spyro humor, and gameplay, but when it comes to this game, it’s not an improvement at all.

The gameplay is nothing more extraordinary than the other games. Once again, you will go around flaming or charging into the Rhynocs our whatever the enemies are called, this process can be fun but gets boring. You will have the ability to ice breath, bubble breath flame breath, and now even lightening breath. Yes, Spyro's breaths are something good in this game, but I expected more.

You will get to fly or super charge occasionally. Nothing different from Spyro 3. It’s a lot harder in this game though, this Spyro seems to have worse control and can have a mischievous camera at times. You will have to use these special abilities to complete certain events and bonus rounds. Spyro can also control tanks and turrets, but where is the dang skateboard? Gosh….

Spyro gamers should already know this, but for the newbies, what Spyro does is go around collecting things. Its fun if you are the type of person that likes hide and seek, but it can get boring after Spyro has spotted the 20,000 gem, or stumbles on the 50th dragonfly. Some gems will be easy to find, and others will be tough to spot as Waldo. Dragonflies can be obtained through special challenges, and you will have to use Spyro’s peak performance to get them, as long as freezing them and catching them with Spyro’s bubble breath.

The graphics are not bad, definitely, they are improved, but this is PS2 and there is more expected. I really cannot nitpick about the graphics though. If there were anything faulty in this category, it would be the glitches. It’s something the makers should have fixed by now, and this has been persistent in all the Spyro games, but it is nothing to obsess over. You will also hear some dreamy tunes that play along with the levels. The sound effects are nicely done but not perfect. Glitches have occurred to me too while I have been playing, the music would stop for about 5 minutes.

The level design is nothing more pioneering than the other games. I guess they are a bit bigger. You will still fight off enemies and encounter inhabitants of the world, and they will give you stuff to do. You will still play the levels when you have to fly through checkpoints and collect mystical objects. (I think it was called something like speedways) There are plenty of places to glide too also, and plenty of spots where our little purple dragon can charge and frolic, and flame a few sheep.

You should just pass on this game. There are more enjoyable plat formers out there, like Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank. I rate the game a 4/10, for the makers should have included more. And the length, I have to come to a point about this! This game is not as long as Spyro 2 or 3, which I was disappointed by. Therefore, I would not buy this game. Not even rent it.

However, if you are interested in this game, and really feel like trying this out, I would get Spyro 3 or 2. They are much better games in my opinion.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 10/07/03