Review by solid snake

"MGS2. Not just a hit, but a masterpiece"

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, could be one of the most highly anticipated games of all time. Its prequel, MGS, is considered by many to be one of the greatest games of all time, as well. I certainly agree, with both of those considerations. This review should give each and every one of you, a more clear idea of what MGS2 has in store for YOU!

Storyline- Continuing from MGS, MGS2 begins 2 years later on a tanker not far from New York. This stealth game involves constant plot twists, keeping you on the edge of your seat until the end. I personally have no intent of spoiling the game in any way, so that is all I choose to reveal. There are many ways to find out about the storyline, if you are that intent on hearing more, but that is one thing that I feel would ruin the game. 9.5/10

Gameplay- Let me put it this way. You can shoot at a fire extinguisher and temporarily blind guards, hang on the edge of railings, fire long distances, etc. with ease. The controls in MGS2 are identical to that of MGS. I personally considered that element of the game, to be extremely easy to master. After an hour(tops) of playing, you'll be sniping guards, or slinking past unnoticed(whichever you prefer) with ease.

MGS2 is indeed a hard game to master, but I guarantee that like with many things, practice will only make you better. Keep at it, and not only will you have a great time, but you'll notice a definate improvement in your skills, at the same time. 10/10

Graphics/Sound- Both of these weren't the greatest in MGS, but that's one of the many things that MGS2 has improved greatly. The graphics are nearly twice as good. The crisp, realistic graphics and sound of MGS2, make you feel like you're actually there(especially if you're using a surround sound system to play). 10/10

Replayability- This one really gets to me. It honestly depends on how much you enjoy the game, but I suspect that the majority of MGS fans will be playing it over and over again. You can stretch the game to its limits, and keep it fun for a very long time. Not to mention the search for dog tags(on every single guard in the game), which will unlock secrets upon grabbing all of them, at the end of the game. 9/10 because it really is a matter of opinion.

To rent or not to rent- In most cases, I would suggest you rent a game and play it before you buy it. This is not the case in MGS2. The odds of you being disappointed with such a superb game are slim to none. Check the box, and if it doesn't seem like your type of game, then don't get it. Otherwise, I suggest you just go out and buy it, instead of renting it. Or maybe rent MGS, which is very similar to MGS2, to see what you think that way. No rating.

Overall- MGS2 is a game that I personally have been looking forward to, for over a year now. Its one of the best stealth games ever to be released. Wanna be stealthy and go unnoticed? Or would you rather just blast your way through? MGS2 offers both types of gamers an excellent time. Check out this game now, especially if you have a PS2. 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/15/01, Updated 11/15/01