Review by Psycho Penguin

"An outstanding fighting game, and you don't need to know Japanese to play it!"

I have never really followed anything involving Dragon Ball Z, but today I felt an urge to play a Dragon Ball game. I heard that Hyper Dimension was the best Super NES Dragon Ball fighting game, so I decided to give it a try. And despite the fact that I have no knowledge of the Japanese language, and cannot read hardly any Japanese, I got right into Hyper Dimension. The game is a lot of fun to play, and I never really knew I could enjoy a Dragon Ball Z game as much as I enjoyed this one. It is truly a great fighting game.

See, while there are lots of text before and after every battle, you don't need to know Japanese to read it, since its not very important so you can just skip over it. This does, of course, mean that I know nothing about the game in terms of storyline, but I'll live. After all, since when is storyline so important in a fighting game, anyways? Overall I had a lot of fun in my two hours with the game/ROM... now I must throw the ROM out *sigh*

Like I have already mentioned, I really do not know much about the game in terms of storyline, due to the fact that all of the text is in Japanese. And unlike the other Japanese games I have played *cough* Final Fantasy 9 *cough* I did not have a translator to help me out. So, I will just move onto the next section.

Wow, these graphics are pretty good, especially for a Super Nintendo game. That is not to say that there have never been any good graphical games featured on the Super Nintendo, because nothing could be further from the truth. I did like the graphics a lot, however, and I was definitely very impressed by the graphics. The characters are very nicely designed, and the backgrounds are very detailed!!

Let me discuss the characters first. The character designs were pulled straight from Dragon Ball Z, so all of your favorite characters are here. They all look great and I am sure they look just like they do on television or comic books or whatever. The backgrounds are also rather solid, as I liked the variety of backgrounds that the game provided. Some stages had sunests, while others were in a forest like setting. The variety was definitely appreciated by myself.

The music is pretty good as well and each stage features its own unique music. I like the music in the second battle (of story mode) the best. Most of the music is pretty good, however. I really like the fact that the music suited the game, as a lot of it really sounded awesome. Especially stuff like the oppening theme and the second battle theme, they really sounded well done. I liked most of the music in the game, I didn't like some but that is to be expected, of course.

The sound effects are very good, as the voices are pretty clear (even though I don't understand what the voices are saying! I cant wait for a translation of this game!!) The sound effects during actual battles and fights are rather solid, despite the fact you will hear a lot of repeating standard fighting game fare, like punches and kicks. Those are pretty bearable, however, and I am sure you will not be too annoyed by the sound effects in the game.

The control in the game is rather solid, as it is easy to pull off a lot of moves in the game. There are a few different types of moves in the game, so you would probably figure that they would be somewhat difficult to pull off. But that is not so in this game. The control scheme is solid, and I was really impressed with the smooth feeling that you had when you went to do moves. This is definitely a testament as to how solid the control in this game really is.

Hyper Dimension is very easy to get into. This is the only Dragon Ball Z fighting game I have played where the power bar and the life bar are combined. You have a life bar, and next to it is a circle with a number and a blue filling, which I believe is the power bar itself, although I am not 100 percent positive. This is a fairly innovative thing about this game, because as I have already mentioned, this is the first fighting game I have seen this featured in.

The fighting action is good as well, the moves are very easy to pull off. I have two problems with the gameplay.

1.) It seems that the game is kinda slow paced. Maybe it is just the ROM I am playing.

2) The juggle moves in the air are harder to pull off then they were in Super Boutuden 3.

The game is slow paced, because I have a friend who owns the game, and it is still slow paced even on the Super Famicom. The characters move rather slowly because of slowdown and other things, as does the moves themselves. It got very annoying after a while. As for the juggle moves, I noticed that they were tougher to pull off than they were in Super Boutuden 3. There is nothing too wrong with that but I figured I would point it out anyways.

I have never considered either fighting games or Dragon Ball Z games to have an extremely high replay value, but this game actually has it. I still stop by my friend's house from time to time just to play this game. It is a lot of fun to play through, despite its flaws. There is a certain feeling when you play this game that I just can't explain. The replay value in this game is definitely on the high side.

I had some problems a few times going through the game, but nothing too major. I am not going to say that this is the most challenging fighting game I have ever played, because then I would be lying to you. The truth is, this is not the most challenging fighting game I have ever played. However, I still do think that this game was a pretty major challenge, especially towards the end, when you had to fight all of those enemies multiple times.

This is definitely the best of the three DBZ fighting games Ive played so far. And it is also one of the better fighting games I have played on the Super Nintendo, or any console for that matter. The game is simply a blast to play, and it really is one of the best. And, hey, it's a Dragon Ball Z game I actually LIKE. What more do you need to know than that?

Good Points
-The game features great control, as the moves are easy enough to pull off.
-This is one of the most graphically pleasing Dragon Ball Z games I have ever played.
-The music and sound effects are pretty impressive.
-You do not need to understand, read, or speak Japanese in order to play this game.

Not So Good Points
-The juggle moves are more difficult to pull off then they were in Super Boutuden 3.
-The game moves very slowly, due to slowdown and other issues.
-It still is a Dragon Ball Z game, and I don't like DBZ at all.
-You will need to read Japanese in order to understand the storyline.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan style!
Storyline - Not Available
Graphics - 9.2/10
Music - 8.4/10
Sound Effects - 9.1/10
Control - 9.3/10
Gameplay - 9.2/10
Replay Value - Above Average
Challenge - Above Average
Overall - 9.3/10

The Last Line: This is one of the better fighting games I have played on the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, and I hate the series that the game represents! So, that should be a good indicator as to how good this game really is. It is well worth a purchase, especially if you are a fan of the series, or a fan of the fighting game genre in general. And that is a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/09/00, Updated 07/16/01