Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of the better Mega Man games out there"

Some companies just can not stop making sequels for a game after the original game sells so well. Capcom just happens to be one of these companies. From the Street Fighter series to all the Resident Evils (Resident Evil 2: Dual Shock Edition?), Capcom is known to make a lot of sequels. The Mega Man series is another one of Capcom's Mega hit series that seem to get a ton of sequels. Thankfully each of the sequels have been fun and the series, at least in my eyes, has not gone stale yet.

This is quite a feat considering most of the Mega Man games have the same basic concept. Well, a few of the games in the series have not been as fun as they could have been. Thankfully the first Mega Man game on Super Nintendo (Mega Man 7) was not one of these games. Featuring some innoative gameplay and control, Mega Man 7 is one of the best games I have played on Super Nintendo. Sure the Mega Man X series is better, but overall Mega Man 7 is one of the best Mega Man games ever.

These graphics are very good but not quite to the level of the graphics in a game like Mega Man X. For instance, the graphics in Mega Man X has more darkness look while Mega Man 7 features more colorful backgrounds and enemies. Regardless, the graphics in Mega Man 7 are still pretty good. I especially like the backgrounds featured in the game, they were well designed and very well varied. The enemy and character designs were solid, as well.

One of the things I liked most about the graphics are the enemy designs. Capcom decided to take some of the enemy designs from the older Mega Man games and update them for this game. The results are some of the coolest looking enemy designs I have ever seen in the Mega Man series. They look simply awesome, and are very well detailed. There also is a nice variety to them, which I have always been a big fan of.

The character designs in the game are solid, there is a nice variety of character designs in the game. Mega Man looks the same as he always does, but this time he has an updated look to him, so he looks a whole lot cooler than he did before. Granted, he doesn't look as cool as X does, but he is still a rather cool looking robot character. Capcom is definitely improving Mega Man's look.

The Mega Man seris has always had some pretty good music, and the music in this game is no exception. Sure some of the tracks seem a little too childish but overall the music is pretty good. I especially liked the boss selection theme music, it has always been one of my favorite themes in the Mega Man series so I was glad to hear that the theme was still top notch. Some of the other music I liked included some of the music in the stages. I liked a majority of the music in the game, and I was very glad to hear this.

Sound effects are standard Mega Man fare, which mean they sound great. Most of them are standard stuff, like the firing of guns. One thing I actually liked about this game is the fact that there is no voice acting featured in it whatsoever. I hated the voice acting featured in the Playstation versions of the series, so I was actually glad for once to find out that there was no voice acting whatsoever in the game. The other sound effects in the game are solid, but nothing extraordinary.

Great control too, just like in every other Mega Man game. The special weapon control in the game is perhaps the thing I like most about the control. In the other Mega Man games, you had to enter to the pause screen by pressing start, then you had to manually move the arrow over until you found the weapon that you wanted. In this game, however, you can just use the top L and R buttons to switch between weapons. It is simple and very effective. I really liked the control in this game.

The game play is more standard Mega Man fare, but it featured new innovations. For instance, you can collect bolts in stages. You can then use these bolts to buy new parts, such as new weapons and new armor. Also, the game play is highly remiscent of Mega Man 8. Only for some strange reason I enjoy this game more than I enjoyed Mega Man 8. Maybe it is the simple fact that Mega Man 8 was so darn kiddy and childish.. oh wait, this game is childish, too.

Basically, the game is just like a lot of the other games in the series. You start off the game by going through this big opening level, then you have a choice of four guys to choose from to fight. After you complete those four, you get another four stages to select. Do not ask me why Capcom decided to go the route of the Game Boy games, but they did. The result is more linear game play, because it is easier to figure out the pattern of the bosses now.

What do I mean by pattern of the bosses? Well, every time you defeat a boss you gain their special weapon. This special weapon is important, because another boss happens to have a weakness towards that particular wepaon. So, you can actually figure out a pattern towards which boss is weak towards what weapon, and only really have to defeat one boss cleanly, and that boss would not be that challenging. It is even easier to do in this game because you only have to figure out three different bosses instead of seven.

This will lead to an increase in replay value, as will the fact that there are a lot of secrets featured in the game. You will want to play through this game a lot until you find all of the secrets, and that will take a while. You can also do a side quest where you find all the bolts in the stages and buy everything that you possibly can. That will also take a while to do. So, the game definitely features a high amount of replay value.

The Mega Man series has significantly decreased in challenge since it hits its pinnacle in Mega Man 2. Yes, the second game in the series remains the toughest game in the series to this day, if you can believe that. This game is a decent challenge, as some will probably find the first stage in the game a decent challenge. Some of the bosses are quite tricky until you figure out the fabled ''pattern''. Then there are the stages themselves, which some would describe as being a moderate challenge.

This is another great and classic Mega Man game, but it is not perfect. I think the biggest problem I had with this game is the fact that it is still kind of childish and kiddy. Sure, the game is fun to play, but it also suffers from Mega Man 8 syndrome, and that is not neccessarily a good thing. Otherwise, this is a very fun game that you should play if you want to play a fun Mega Man game. It is not up to the level of Mega Man X, but it is still a fun game.

Mega Man X
-The graphics in the game are pretty impressive.
-I really liked some of the music in the game.
-The fact that there is no voice acting is definitely a good thing.
-The actual game play itself is pretty good.
-I liked the control in the game.
-There are a lot of secrets, which will lead to an increase in replay value.

Mega Man 8
-The game still suffers from that damn kiddy syndrome.
-It is not the most challenging game ever.
-The 4 stages and then 4 stages system is not a good thing for a Super Nintendo game.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan style!
Storyline - Not Available
Graphics - 9.1/10
Music - 9.2/10
Sound Effects - 9.1/10
Control - 9.2/10
Gameplay - 9.3/10
Replay Value - Above Average
Challenge - Below Average
Is this game worth a purchase? - Yeah, if you can find it for under twenty bucks.
Overall - 9.3/10

The Last Line: This is a really fun game, and despite the fact it has flaws, I still enjoyed playing it a lot. This is not the pinnacle of the Mega Man series, but it is on a high plateau. Make sure to check this one out.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/12/00, Updated 07/16/01