Review by Psycho Penguin

"The magic is still there...."

Mega Man X3 is yet another attempt from Capcom at making a Mega Man game. After countless sequels, how would this game stack up against the others in the series? Well, it is very good, but it certainly isn't as good as the others in the series. Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System uses the same basic elements of the other games in the Mega Man X series, but adds some new innovations to the game. However, maybe it is just me, but I did not have that fun of a time playing the game. I expected it to be great, and it most certainly was, but in the end I still preferred to play the original Mega Man X game. Regardless, Mega Man X3 is still great fun! The magic is most definitely still there, and the game is well worth a purchase, as long as you don't purchase the game from FuncoLand.

Graphics (9.2/10)
The graphics are very well designed, with great backgrounds, excellent character designs (Zero looks great), and awesome enemy designs. The new MM3 chip really does make a game look much better, and the graphics are the best in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System series. The backgrounds in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo are wonderfully colored, and the variety of the backgrounds is really quite good! The backgrounds of the game really blend in well with the feeling of the stage. For instance, let’s say you are in the snow stage. You would expect to see lots of snow and ice, and you get lots of snow and ice! The backgrounds in some of the stages are marvelous, and I swear that this game could pass for a Playstation game (in fact, it did.) The character designs in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System are some of the best yet for the series. The enemy designs in the game are also quite good, from the hopping rabbits that explode in mid air to the unique boss designs in the game (oooh a big bubble machine!) Overall, the graphics in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo are really great, and the backgrounds of the game are just incredible!

Music/Sound (9.2/10)
The music and sound effects in the Mega Man series have always been known to be top notch, and the music and sound effects in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System are no exception. First off, the music in the game is wonderful! I especially enjoy the boss themes in the game, and the music that plays when you first start up the game! The music featured there really has a great beat to it! Then, after that, you switch from Mega Man X to Zero, and the music is also great there! Then you hit the stages, and the real fun begins. Each of the stages feature wonderful music that really fits the unique feelings of the stages perfectly. I especially enjoy the boss theme in the game, I think that it is the best boss theme in the series. Overall, the music in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is incredible! Sound effect wise, Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo is great, also. All of the expected sound effects are here, from the sliding sounds Mega Man X makes to the gunshots in the game. Overall, the sound effects are also quite good. Overall, the music and sound effects in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System are great!

Control (9.3/10)
I've always enjoyed the control in the Mega Man X series better than the control in the regular Mega Man series, and this game is no exception. The game is much faster overall and I love the fact that you can switch weapons without going to the menu, and can't forget about climbing on walls. It really is excellent control in an excellent game. Capcom did not screw around with the control in the game, which I am glad of, so the veterans to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System game series will feel right at home with the control system of the game. Overall, the control in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is great, just like it is in all the other games for the SNES series!

Gameplay (9.3/10)
Apparently some things never change. Yes, the order in which you beat the bosses is very important. But this time it is for reasons. Instead of bosses being weak against certain weapons, certain weapons shut down the boss’s special attack, giving you an easier chance to win. Now that’s something a little different!!! Otherwise, Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is a classic game all the way that is really a lot like the other games in the series. For instance, you still go around collecting items and power ups, you still beat the bosses with other boss weapons. But the game is still fun to play. I just prefer the original Mega man X just a tad better. I don’t know why, but I just do. Still, Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is still a lot of fun! Overall, Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is great fun!

Replay Value (High)
The replay value in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is great, as well, although I did not feel the game really had enough to draw a person back after a while of gameplay. Still, the game is a lot of fun to play for a while, and there are plenty of secrets to find. Question is, does the game have enough secrets to draw a player back time after time? Well, Mega Man X3 does not have incredible replay value but I still play the game from time to time. Overall, the replay value in Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is quite good.

Challenge Factor (High)
Mega Man X3 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is a challenging game to say the least.

Overall (9.2/10)
The Mega Man X series is one of my favorite, and this game is the worst in the series. However, it’s still lots of fun. There's only one terrible Mega Man game, and this isn't it. The game is a lot of fun, and really is a blast to play. Still, I cannot help but feel a little disappointed by the game after playing it, because I expected an incredible game that surpassed Mega Man X and Mega Man X2, but unfortunately it didn’t. For whatever reason, the Mega Man X series has declined with every game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/00, Updated 07/16/01