Review by Psycho Penguin

"Krappy Gameplay = Krappy Game"

The Mortal Kombat series has never been one of my favorite fighting game series. But for whatever reason (maybe it's the Fatalities) the series has always remained very popular until recently. While parts two and three were good, the original in the series for Super Nintendo suffered from terrible and very slow gameplay. There were not a lot of charcaters to choose from, and this hurt the replay value in the long run. The game can still probably be fun for some intense fighting game fans, but for everyone else the boring and slow gameplay will turn you off this gaming experience and make you want to play Street Fighter or something.

The thing I liked least about this game is the fact that the game play is so slow and really censored. I do not really mind the fact that there is not a lot of blood featured, after all I have never really considered blood to be a must-have feature in fighting games. However, I do have a problem with the extremely slow game play that the game provides. I think this is one of the slowest fighting games to ever be released. The moves take forever to pull off, and the characters walk around really slowly. It got annoying very quickly, as the game seemed a lot like Pit Fighter.

I don't think I can find any good points about this game whatsoever. Simply put, I am not a fan of the series, and I think this is the worst game in the series. Hell, I would go as far as to say this is the worst fighting game I have ever played. Heck, I will go on record as saying this is the worst Super Nintendo game I have ever played. It is just that bad. I had a terrible time playing this game, and the two player mode is one of the worst, because your friend will probably end up hating you if you force him or her to play this game against you.

There is not much of a story line to this game at all, but what do you expect? After all, not only is it a fighting game, but it is also a Mortal Kombat game. And if there is one thing you should know about Mortal Kombat, it is the fact that the games have never exactly been known for their stellar story lines. The basic story line to the game is simple enough. Shang Tsung has set up a tournament, and seven people have entered this tournament. However, Goro soon takes over this tournament, and it soon becomes a fight for survival, not the grand prize.

The story line is not exactly revolutionary, but it is solid enough, especially for a Mortal Kombat game. It is not going to win any awards for being the greatest story line to ever be featured in a game, but what do you expect? I really expected a much worse story line than the one that was actually featured, so therefore I am not going to be too hard on the rather simple premise of the basic story line, because I didn't even expect it to be as good as it turned out to be.

The graphics were pretty good but not quite arcade perfect. There was some slowdown prevailant, which is unreal and very poor since the game already plays slow enough. There is nothing worse than playing a fighting game which already moves slow enough, then to have slowdown featured when it comes to pulling off some moves. Just look at some of the special moves in the game, when your character jumps in the air he or she lands really slowly. It sucks because the game was already moving slow enough without having the added problem of slowdown. So, there are a lot of graphical problems featured in this game.

The character models looked much better and much more realistic than the charcater models featured in Street Fighter 2. This is due to the special type of rendering done in the Mortal Kombat series. The characters no longer have that hand drawn look, instead they have a more realstic, rendered look to them. I am not going to say I love this kind of character designs, because I do prefer the hand drawn character designs of the Street Fighter series, but the character designs in this game were still pretty good.

The backgrounds in the game are solid enough but are not revolutionary. I like the design of a majority of the backgrounds in the game, and there was a nice variety of them. I like how the design of the backgrounds fit in perfectly with the feeling of the stage. For instance, the pit in Liu Kang's stage, it looked really nicely and fit the feeling of Liu Kang and his character perfectly. I really liked the background designs of the game even though there is nothing here that can be considered revolutionary, in my opinion.

The graphics were definitely the best part to Mortal Kombat, but they were not perfect. The biggest problem I had with them were the fact that the character designs were not hand drawn. Sure, they looked pretty nicely done as is, but I just prefer the hand drawn character designs of the Street Fighter series. That is just a matter of personal preference, however. Another thing about this game is Nintendo censored it, so there is no blood. Instead of red blood coming out of the characters, there is instead gray sweat. I am not a huge fan of this, but I don't really care either way. I just felt I would point this out in case you care about blood in fighting games.

The music in the game is not that good, but it is solid enough. The thing about the music that I should really point out about is the fact that it sounds really dark and sitant, which fits in the feeling of the game perfectly, as the game gives off this whole dark and dreary feeling to begin with. I like some of the themes in the game, especially Goro's theme. Goro's theme in his stage sounds great, although it definitely sounds just as drab and drery as every other theme in the game. I liked the music for the most part, although I did find certain themes that I didn't like, I liked most of the themes, however. Overall, the music in the game was really solid.

The sound effects in the game are pretty good, despite the fact they are the standard fighting game sound effects. Punch, kick, they are all here. I liked a majority of the sound effects in the game, but I am not going to say these are the greatest sound effects to ever be featured in a fighting game, because then I would be lying, and I really don't feel like lying right now. All the characters sounded the same, however, so even Sonya screams just like Liu Kang does. That is not a good thing, but at least there are some decent enough sound effects in this game. The sound effects are definitely better than the game play of the game, in my opinion.

The control in this game is solid enough, but it is certainly not perfect, to say the absolute least. The biggest problem with this game is the fact that the characters move way too slowly. Therefore, this makes the moves hard to pull off. Of course, I have always found fighting games to have hard to pull off moves, because I have never been exactly known as a fighting game master or whatever. But the controls in this game are just not that good because the characters move way too slowly, and this makes the moves seem slow to pull off, as well. The fatalities are extremely difficult to pull off, and are not really worth the effort, in my opinion. Most of the moves were difficult to pull off, and the characters moved too slowly, so the control in this game was not that good.

Before I talk about all of the bad points of the game, and trust me, there are a lot, I will discuss some of the features of the game. There are seven characters in the game, and all of them have their own strengths and weaknesses. There is Scorpion, Sub Zero, Liu Kang, Sonya, Raiden, Johnny Cage, and Shang Tsung. I didn't really think much of any of the characters, although they do have different moves and fatalities, which makes choosing between them an important necessity. There are a lot of modes in the game, including a two player mode, and the infamous one player mode, which makes you go up a ''tower'' of fighters.

This ''tower'' is one of the more unique features to ever be featured in a fighting game, although it is not totally unlike the world mode in Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting. You basically choose a character, and this character has to go up a tower, fighting fights one by one. The tower determines which character you have to fight next. Along the way, you can also do stuff like tests of strength,m which basically pits you against your opponent in a battle of seeing who can bress the buttons quicker. It is not that fun but oh well.

Now, the tower may seem like a great idea, and it is, but sadly the game completely sucks and is totally unplayable, as well. That is because the game moves so darn slowly. As I already mentioned before, the characters move really slowly, and this makes the moves seem next to impossible to pull off. This makes the game really drab and quite frankly boring, because you are not going to want to play a game which has characters that walk as slowly as these characters do. And the censored aspects of this game does not help, at all, either, because some people would be expecting to see blood, and they would be disappointed with the game play of this game, as well as the people that would be expecting a fun game, because this game is anything but fun.

The game simply does not have much replay value because of the fact the game play is so slow and boring. I never even think about playing this game at all anymore, and after you realize how stupid the game actually is, you will not want to play it much at all, either. I think after you play this game once you will throw it in your closet or under your bed or whatever you want to do with it. I don't think you would want to play it much after you find out how stupid it really is, because the game just moves way too slowly for you to actually want to play it. Stick with Mortal Kombat 2 if you really want to play a Mortal Kombat fighting game for SNES.

The challenge level of this game is pretty high, but not impossible. The biggest challenge of this game is realizing that the gamne sucks, and then still wanting to play it. It is pretty challenging to pull off a lot of the moves in the game, but I say that about a lot of fighting games, so I might not be the most sane person to talk to when it comes to pulling off the moves in this game. It is not impossible to beat this game but chances are you will have at least some trouble beating it, because of the fact you will not want to play it, coupled with the fact a lot of the moves are really hard to pull off.

Overall, I hated this game. I think this is the worst Super Nintendo game ever made, and the worst fighting game ever made. There is hardly any good things about the game, maybe besides the fact that the tower is a pretty cool idea, and the single player mode can be kind of fun. But once you actually start playing this game, you will realize that it is just a terrible game. I hated playing this game, and I would reccomend playing a game like Mortal Kombat 2 if you really want to play a Mortal Kombat game for the Super Nintendo. Just make sure to stay away from this game at all costs, because it truly is one of the worst video games I have ever played. I cannot say enough bad things about this piece of crap.

Tampa Bay Bucs
-The tower is pretty cool.
-I guess the cover is okay looking.
-The graphics are pretty good.

Miami Dolphins
-The game play is just so slow and terribly censored.
-There is no characater selection whatsoever.. oh wow, 7 characters.
-The music and sound effects could have been much better.
-Overall, I just hated almost everything about this game.

I Run Down the Ratings.. DaLadiesMan Style!
Story Line - 4.8/10
Graphics - 6.9/10
Music - 5.1/10
Sound Effects - 4.8/10
Control - 1.1/10
Game Play - 0.8/10
Replay Value - Way Below Average
Challenge - Above Average
Is this game worth a purchase? - Hell no!
Overall - 1.1/10

The Last Line
Simply put, I hated this game. It is one of the worst games I have ever played, and I advise you stay away from it, as far away as you possibly can. There is hardly any good things about the game, maybe besides the fact that the tower is a pretty cool idea, and the single player mode can be kind of fun. But once you actually start playing this game, you will realize that it is just a terrible game. And the censored aspects of this game does not help, at all, either, because some people would be expecting to see blood, and they would be disappointed with the game play of this game, as well as the people that would be expecting a fun game, because this game is anything but fun.

And that's a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 12/10/00, Updated 07/16/01